Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2006 Dodge Caravan issue where at night the headlights work, but the tail lights wont

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 11:20 PM
Maverick923
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Dodge Caravan issue where at night the headlights work, but the tail lights wont

I have a 2006 Dodge Caravan. I have an issue where at night the headlights work, but the tail lights wont. They go on with the break, and backup lights work. The hazard lights even work. I am not sure what's wrong. I should also add that I do have a rear backup cam installed which works as it is supposed to when I backup. Can anyone give me any ideas?

Last edited by Maverick923; 01-12-2013 at 02:17 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:01 PM
go-part
Former Vendor

Have you checked the fuses in your dash?

Also maybe the bulbs for the tail light went out.. but it is kind of strange for both of them to die at the same time..

Old 01-13-2013, 02:39 AM
Maverick923

The same bulbs worth the hazard and stop lights. Both of which are working. I was told that the BCM is shot, but I am not sure about that since everything else works. How can I tell for sure if it's the BCM, or what?

Cant figure out why the running tail lights would just stop working like that. Perhaps I will start with disconnecting the camera.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:58 AM
Montreal300
Professional

To eliminate the BCM as a cause, test the output from the BCM to the tail lights. The backup, hazard and brake lights run off of a different circuit from the BCM so the particular output from the BCM to your "running" lights may have failed which means a new BCM.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at the wiring diagram, the parking and brake lights work out of the Front Control Module (FCM) circuit and the turn sigs and flashers work out of the BCM.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:43 PM
Maverick923

Thanks for the info, but I need to know how should I troubleshoot this one. Any ideas?

Old 01-14-2013, 04:36 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker

Just so we're on the same page, the front park/turn sigs lights are working correct? If yes that would eliminate the park lamp relay, the relay control ground from the FCM, and the fuses involved. Have you disconnected the camera yet? Do you have a trailer lights kit installed? Disconnect it. Are the license plate lights working? If yes, you're getting power out of the FCM to the left rear parking light circuit.

Try some monkey work before you grab a meter. Disconnect the negative battery cable for 5 minutes. This will reset the BCM, FCM and the PCI data bus. Disconnect the battery cable again then remove the FCM. It's that box bolted to the front of the IPM (fuse box). Inspect the connections for any corrosion or damage. Reinstall and remove it a few times to clean any unseen corrosion. Connect the battery cable and give the lights a try.

Would you like the wiring diagrams? Send me a private message with an email address included.

Last edited by Cougar41; 01-14-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:18 PM
Maverick923

Originally Posted by Cougar41
Just so we're on the same page, the front park/turn sigs lights are working correct? If yes that would eliminate the park lamp relay, the relay control ground from the FCM, and the fuses involved. Have you disconnected the camera yet? Do you have a trailer lights kit installed? Disconnect it. Are the license plate lights working? If yes, you're getting power out of the FCM to the left rear parking light circuit.

Try some monkey work before you grab a meter. Disconnect the negative battery cable for 5 minutes. This will reset the BCM, FCM and the PCI data bus. Disconnect the battery cable again then remove the FCM. It's that box bolted to the front of the IPM (fuse box). Inspect the connections for any corrosion or damage. Reinstall and remove it a few times to clean any unseen corrosion. Connect the battery cable and give the lights a try.

Would you like the wiring diagrams? Send me a private message with an email address included.
Cougar, if you were here I would give you a beer. I went to check the Parking lights on the front, and they did not work. My next thought was to check the park lamp relay. To my shock and surprise it was missing. I tried another from something else, and that worked. The lights were working as they are supposed to.

I then went to Autozone with the relay I needed and the computer kept showing the wrong one. The associate went to the back and found the correct one. The relay cost me $15 which I thought was a lot for an item like that. Now I have to figure out who swiped my relay.

I am soo glad it was not a major repair I needed like the good folks over at the Pep Boys shop in ST Cloud FL would have led me to believe. They said that the "BCM was shot" I did not think I was missing a relay. I would think maybe a fuse or something.

Thank you for your help Cougar.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:11 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker

Happy to hear you had an easy fix. You sure were headed down an ugly path. As for why it was missing did you have any work done on it lately? I'm thinking a tech may have borrowed it just to try on another van and forgot to put it back. One of a hundred scenarios.

Last edited by Cougar41; 01-15-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Maverick923

I think I may have my suspects. What I can prove is another story. I will be more careful next time.

Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge Caravan issue where at night the headlights work, but the tail lights wont