Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

ignition Key wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 11:23 AM
HD Fatboy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition Key wont start

96 caravan Base, 2.4L
Came out to parking lot and van wouldn't start. Wipers and door chime started and wouldn't stop, even after key was removed. Had to disconnect battery to stop. Tried to jump start, nothing Tapped starter almost to death. Towed it home, next day battery dead (battery is good)
Charged battery All electrical/dash interior and taillights work. Engine wont crank no click from starter. Removed starter had it checked (its good). Did the relay dance with ASD, Starter relay. Still no response. Checked reverse lights with key on no reverse lights so I replaced the Neutral SS (Not the problem). Next day battery dead again. After charging I hooked up a remote starter switch, turned on key and it started and ran smooth. Still no backup lights. Disconnected battery left for 2 days charge is good.
Breakdown:
Got a battery drain
key wont start van
no backup lights

Old 01-21-2013, 03:34 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most likely the communication bus is down. Does your van have skim (programmable key)? Most likely the module causing the battery drain is also causing your no start.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:56 PM
HD Fatboy

No it is a base model, just bare necessities: (crank windows ect.). No electronics/windows or locks
I've notice a clicking sound from the junction box area under the dash. When I reconnect the battery

Last edited by HD Fatboy; 01-21-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:30 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the starter relay click?

Old 01-21-2013, 06:18 PM
HD Fatboy

No click from starter relay, I did replace with new one.
Do u think it could be ignition switch?
Or something in the junction box under the dash? I have checked all fuses

Old 01-21-2013, 07:09 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker

First I would get your battery issue squared away. Remove the starter relay. With the key at start you should see 12+vdc at contact 86 of the relay socket. If it's there either the relay itself is bad or you're not getting the ground from the PCM to the relay coil. If power isn't there, you may have a bad fuse, popped PTC breaker, ignition switch, park/neutral switch, or wiring.

Just to CYA, jumper contacts 30 and 87 at the relay socket. The starter should spin immediately. That bypasses the relay and it's control circuit from the PCM etc.

Only thing on the junction block for the start circuit are two PTC circuit breakers. Your clicking relay could just be an indication of low power or a power transient as you connect the battery.

You have a 3 speed transmission correct?

Last edited by Cougar41; 01-21-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:40 PM
HD Fatboy

Yes 3 speed trans

My bad, I do have a click at starter relay.
I did connect connector 30 and 87 starter did spin

Old 01-22-2013, 03:44 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker

Ok. The click you hear is the coil in the starter relay pulling the output contacts closed. The only way that can happen is if the PCM supplies a ground to the relay coil and the ign switch, park/neutral switch, fuses and breakers supply the power to the other side of the coil. That click says all that is happening. When the starter cranked the engine when you jumped the relay contacts you proved the starter solenoid and starter motor are good (again). The output and control sides of the relay are working. The damned thing should crank!

Are you absolutely sure the starter relay clicks? Sometimes a neighboring relay can mask it. I would verify you are getting 12vdc at the starter solenoid connection (smaller of the two) with the key at start and 12vdc on the larger starter connection keys in your pocket. I doubt it but maybe the relay contacts aren't being pulled completely closed.

Would you like wiring diagrams? Send me a private message with an email address included.

Last edited by Cougar41; 01-22-2013 at 04:04 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:07 AM
HD Fatboy

Ur starting to see my frustration "The damned thing should crank!"
I had brother in-law put his finger on top of the relay when I turned the key.
I'll check the voltage today at the starter solenoid.
I know it isn't getting the 12v needed if any,
I connected a remote starter switch (battery to switch to starter solenoid) and it starts every time.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:54 AM
papaduck
Professional

As a temporary fix until you find the problem, install an old fashion starter button.

Quick Reply: ignition Key wont start