Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

New/used 06 - what service to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 01:59 PM
treydawgmt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New/used 06 - what service to do?

Hello,

I just purchased a used 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SE. It has 95,000 miles on it. It runs very good overall. (And I got a GREAT deal on it!)

So far I haven't preformed any service on it. It had an oil change at the dealer when the took it to sell, so that was just done. I did replace the oil pressure sender unit also, as the oil change light came on shortly after getting it, but had been checked by 2 mechanics and the oil system seemed fine. It works now.

So, my question is, what service should I complete now? The local Dodge dealership (I didn't buy it at a Dodge dealer) has suggested just a transmission service and spark plugs & wires. I can do the plugs and wires myself, and plan on doing them in the next few weeks as time allows.

The trans service is what I'm really wondering about. There are trans flushes, trans service, etc. The dealership will pull the pan, change the filter, and something else I don't remember. I'm pretty sure I've ruled out doing a flush, but should I even do the service? The manual recommends at 60,000 miles, and we're a bit past that.

Anything else anyone can think of? I mean, I've done a basic check over, the only thing I really notice is the under carriage has some rust, but the car has been in Illinois since 2007 per CarFax, so that is what it is.

Thanks!

Old 01-23-2013, 08:18 PM
DGCaravan
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on your vehicle. Whenever no one serviced the transmission before 100k, it's a good idea to start saving for a rebuilt unit. Having said that, your transmission could outlive the car. You can only change the filter and the fluid. If you want to be aggressive with the maintenance, do a pan drop every 30,000 miles.

Few thing you might want to consider. Change the coolant, power steering fluid, and the brake fluid. Check the air filter and see if it needs to be replaced.

As for the rust, you can use a corrosion Inhibitor can and spray the undercarriage. You can spray it every other oil change to keep the rust from getting worse, and prevent further corrosion. There are plenty of products out there that penetrate and break down existing oxidation. Just do a Google search for corrosion inhibitor products.

Last edited by DGCaravan; 01-23-2013 at 08:21 PM.

Quick Reply: New/used 06 - what service to do?