Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Haywire TCM

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 03:40 PM
a_lopez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Haywire TCM

Hello fellow Dodge Owners. This is my first post and it's a doozy. My 2006 Caravan is in limp mode and is showing 2 codes; P0700 and P0882. The was a code of P0562 which is the low battery input that was caused by corroded terminals. I replaced those and that code went away so my wondering is, if I cleared the trans codes, will the van get out of limp mode or should the TCM be replaced? My thinking is that the low voltage coming from the battery could have caused the P0882 which in turn prompted the P0700 and turned the engine light on. Does this make sense? Thanks

Old 02-03-2013, 04:02 PM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would pull the negative and clear it and see what happens. It's a 50/50 shot of it working (or better) as bad batteries and bad grounds really torment the BCM on these vehicles causing all kinds of craziness at times when the voltages fluctuate.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:11 PM
a_lopez

Ok so I erased the codes and drove it for a bit but the trans is still in limp mode. Shouldn't it have worked immediately or is there a certain number of drive cycles that I have to go through or the computer has to re-learn? I'm still stumped.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:24 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by a_lopez
My 2006 Caravan is in limp mode and is showing 2 codes; P0700 and P0882. The was a code of P0562 which is the low battery input that was caused by corroded terminals. I replaced those ........
Which terminals are you referring to? Did you swap out the TCM relay with a known good one?

It's going back into limp-in because you have a hard fault.

Here's the TCM relay circuit.>>> Don't ignore the G101 ground above the starter. It may be loose. Also, flip the fuse box over and check all the terminals on the connectors.

Last edited by TNtech; 02-03-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:34 PM
a_lopez

Hey thanks for the response! The battery connectors were the terminals I was referring to. They were all corroded with rust and green build up. I erased the P0700 and P0882 codes and drove it for one cycle and no codes came on but it is still in limp mode and has no reverse. I don't know how many cycles to drive it through before it re-learns and gets out of limp mode. I have swapped out the TCM relay with a new one I bought at the autp parts store. That was my first action when the whole thing went bad.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:40 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

If it's in limp-in, there should be a DTC in there.....or the TCM has lost communication altogether. You will only see P0700 if you don't have a way to scan the TCM. The output coming out of the TCM relay is in one of the connectors under the IPM (fusebox) You see the circuit I posted. It should narrow you in anyway.

When you reset the TCM, it is out of limp-in until the TCM sees a fault again...which COULD be every time you turn the ignition switch on. If you do, in fact have a lack of power (Fused B+) to the TCM, it will immediately be in limp-in at key on.

Last edited by TNtech; 02-03-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:12 PM
a_lopez

You're right, the codes are still there. I'm not sure of the location of the TCM. I think it's in the wheel well but I looked there and what was there didn't look like the TCM because it had like 5 connectors going into it.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:54 PM
a_lopez

I'm still stumped on this problem. I'm under the car and I cannot locate the TCM for the lifer of me. I'm looking in the book and it's telling me that it is in the driver side wheel well but all I see is the PCM and not the TCM. Are they together or are they two separate entities? Can someone please help? Thanks.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:04 PM
a_lopez

Sorry, This is really frustrating. After further reading, I'm finding out that the 2006 Caravan which is the model I have the TCM is integrated with the PCM so there is no way to single out the TCM. There are four ports on the entire PCM so changing out the PCM will hopefully solve the problem. I just read that these PCMs are plug and play so there is no need to program them.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:02 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

You're right, the codes are still there. I'm not sure of the location of the TCM. I think it's in the wheel well but I looked there and what was there didn't look like the TCM because it had like 5 connectors going into it.
I'm still stumped on this problem. I'm under the car and I cannot locate the TCM for the lifer of me. I'm looking in the book and it's telling me that it is in the driver side wheel well but all I see is the PCM and not the TCM. Are they together or are they two separate entities? Can someone please help? Thanks.
Sorry, This is really frustrating. After further reading, I'm finding out that the 2006 Caravan which is the model I have the TCM is integrated with the PCM so there is no way to single out the TCM. There are four ports on the entire PCM so changing out the PCM will hopefully solve the problem. I just read that these PCMs are plug and play so there is no need to program them.
It's integrated PCM/TCM....under the driver's front (headlamp area)You access it through the forward part of the wheel well shield. The C-4 connector is the TCM partition. On the end...the "innards" of the connector will be green. Refer to diagram you'll see "C-4" labeled at the bottom.

Quick Reply: Haywire TCM