Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Aftermarket Switch Location

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 11:13 PM
Sporatic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Switch Location

Hi guys. Just joined the site and looking for some insight. I have a 2012 Caravan SE (Sales Edition). Its a company vehicle and I'm going to be installing some aftermarket fogs. Problem is, for the life of me I can't find a place to put the switch. I have to put it somewhere that I can remove it when I return the vehicle and have no obvious evidence that it was there.

The only place I can think of is cutting a hole in the little trim panel just above and to the right of the headlight switch.

Seen in this picture as the silver trip piece at 9 O'clock to the steering wheel.

The ONLY other place I can see being a possibility is the little dummy switch between the hazard lights button and the traction control toggle, but its too small for the switch.

Does anyone else have any experience of doing this, either in that location, or somewhere else? I'll have to call the dealership and get a price on a new trim piece before I cut that one, but if someone else has any experience of installing a switch somewhere I'm all ears. It seems the days of countless dummy switches on a dashboard are long gone.

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Switch Location-2012-dodge-caravan-rt-dash.jpg  

Last edited by Sporatic; 02-16-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:53 AM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you even need a switch for? I always use a relay that I setup to turn on the driving/fog lights with the parking lights. No need for any switch.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:58 AM
Sporatic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well for one they are a combo fog/driving light so I need to be able to switch them and two, I want to be able to turn them off. No need for fog or driving lights in the middle of a sunny day.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make an "L" bracket out of sheet metal. Drill a hole in the long side for the switch, two holes in the short side for two mounting screws. Mount it on the bottom edge of the dash left or right of the steering wheel. Easily removable. No visible holes to worry about.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:06 AM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sporatic
Well for one they are a combo fog/driving light so I need to be able to switch them and two, I want to be able to turn them off. No need for fog or driving lights in the middle of a sunny day.
Do you normally turn on the running lights during the day? The way I wire mine, they only come on when I switch on the running/headlights. If you only turn on the running lights the headlights would sty off but the fog/driving lights would come on. They stay on when you turn on the headlights too.

Not sure why you even need a switch when the headlight switch is more than capable to be wired to do the job with a simple jumper off one of the running lights for reference voltage while the relay can be wired directly to the battery. Far more simple than cutting holes and drilling a hole in the firewall to pass wires through.

To each their own.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Switch Location