Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1999 Dodge Caravan 3.0 Transmisson & Vibrating

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 11:09 AM
whomever
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1999 Dodge Caravan 3.0 Transmisson & Vibrating

Hi, I'm New to this forum. I have a 1999 Dodge Caravan 3.0 L with 137,000 miles. I have 2 issues I would appreciate advice on.

1) In Sept. I had the transmission fluid changed and filter, it had not been done previously. The transmission had been replaced at 32,000 miles so this transmission has about 105,000 miles. The transmission had not given me any problems until after I had the fluid and filter changed. Now in below freezing weather it will slip into neutral (When Van is cold) when I stop and try to go. I then rev engine a bit it will slip into gear. This happens for the first few miles or minutes of driving then I have no further problems. This has been happening so far only in below 40 degrees temp worse the colder it is outside. I have warmed Van before driving and initially have same issue but not for as long if van is cold.

2) At around 40 mph to 45-50 mph the van vibrates the worse is around 40 mph, it is worse if going up a hill. I had new tires put on and balanced also 4 wheel alignment done slight improvement this was done last March. Can't tell if it is the engine making car vibrate or a front end issue. When driving over 50 mph on highway there is some vibration but not bad.

Thank you in advance for any help.... Kerry

Old 02-27-2013, 01:03 PM
whomever

Do you think Ishould change fluid again....suck it out through dipstick tube and replace fluid?

Old 02-27-2013, 02:53 PM
dennisleslie
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whomever
Do you think Ishould change fluid again....suck it out through dipstick tube and replace fluid?
That only replaces about 1/3 - 1/2 of the fluid in the transmission.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:04 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are absolutely positive it has ATF+4 transmission fluid in it I would leave it alone. If not change it. Anything other than ATF+4 will cause slippage and harsh shifting.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:51 PM
whomever

Thank you! Anyone have any ideas about my second question...Thank you

Old 03-16-2013, 09:36 AM
dennisleslie
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had similar issue to your second question. Turns out I had a slightly bent LF rim. It was barely noticeable to the eye but the balancer picked up on it. You have to take the tire off the rim and just put the rim on the balancer first. Also, I always "Road Force" balance my tires when I get them. It's a little more expensive but what a difference in my opinion.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Chazwel
Professional

On the second issue, when the van is vibrating take your foot off the gas, if the vibration gets better than it is your CV joints and maybe your front bottom engine mount. Change them all out at the same time.

Mine did the same thing, I replaced the two CV joints and the front bottom engine mount and all is good.

My 2000 grand caravan 3.3 has 209,000 miles on it and going strong.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:27 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

In most cases, The colder the weather the longer the transmission will stay in 1st gear. Kerry, Do you have a 3speed transmission or the 4 speed? Because if you have a 3 speed transmission, was the transmission filter gasket installed correctly?

The 2nd problem maybe a bad CV joint as some other may have said or tires are out of balance.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:17 PM
whomever

Thanks for getting back to me...i'm hope gasket was installed correctly. i had friend who is backyard mechanic do it for me.
Are cv joints and motor mounts hard to replace or expensive to have done? how do you know for sure if they need to be replaced? thank you

Old 03-21-2013, 12:03 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Yes the motor mount are pretty easy and can be a problem too. The best way i can tell you how to inspect the drive axle, is to raise the front end up if its an FWD van. Make sure you use jack stands. Have someone in the van and start the engine, either you or someone else hold one of the front tires. Have the person in the van stepping on the brakes and drop the transmission into drive. Release the brakes slow, because if the tire goes to fast. You could get hurt and i wouldn't want that. If the front end start shaking, step on the brakes and do the same thing on the other axle. If the front end doesn't shake, then you found the bad axle. Check the short axle first.

Quick Reply: 1999 Dodge Caravan 3.0 Transmisson & Vibrating