Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Where to buy trans and shop REFUSES to flush trans?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 08:55 AM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stick to factory shocks and ignore those overpriced ones. I would never rely on or trust that personally.

Last edited by b1lk1; 03-12-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:10 AM
td1
Rookie

No air bags. Those requires pump and some complicated installation, it gets expensive.
not true.

i have a 1996 GC ES 3.8L "hippievan" which i installed air bags and new shocks on a couple of years ago. two people, 6 hours, no problems.

airbags -

http://shop.airliftcompany.com/produ...g_Leveling_Kit

new shocks -

http://www.kyb.com/products/shocks/gasajust.php

i think i paid less than $400 for everything (thanks amazon!). i also change out the tired old leafsprings. i joined the airbags together inline so that if there is a leak they both deflate and not just one. i routed the nipple behind the gas tank door, just above the gas cap. no hassle, no onboard compressor, perfect location, perfect setup for towing and heavy loads for road trips/skiKations and such.

the kyb "gas adjust" are pretty stiff with an empty van, rides best loaded. i would consider going with the OEM replacement KYBs, "GR-2".

i put on a uhaul tube style class 3 hitch. works great with my yakima "swing daddy" bike rack. also have a yakima "sky box 18" on factory rails. everything works great for my needs.

one matter of the tranny.....i burned the OEM tranny out on a roadtrip to norcal several years ago. FULLY loaded with people and gear, towing a uhaul trailer. i searched and searched the net for a good replacement, found it at Gentry Transmissions in AZ. these guys are awesome. think i paid $350?? for the rebuilt. they also supplied the rebuilt tranny for my POS 2006 Volvo S40, which i *thankfully* have dumped and replaced with a Chevy Volt.

gentry transmission -

https://plus.google.com/117237472826...ut?gl=us&hl=en

any other questions on this topic i will be happy to help!

on another subject, we are taking a roadtrip/skiKation at the end of the month and would like to put in some aux usb/power sockets in the rear for the kids to plug in their devices into....anyone upgraded theirs? thoughts? ideas?

td1

Last edited by td1; 03-12-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:45 AM
rfielder
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beginningjockey
Flushing a auto transmission with that many miles is NOT a wise idea. Just a fluid and filter change will be sufficient. Flushing will loosen up grit and grime and will cause tranny failure. So trust them on that: I know people who've flushed and then lost their tranny shortly after. Only places that do that are the cheap places.
Sorry for digging up an old discussion, but I found this interesting while looking for messages related to transmission coolers and towing.

If you loosen up the grit and grime and flush it out, why will that cause a failure?

Or is the problem that the crap gets loosened up and NOT flushed out? In other words, with an older transmission, would it make sense to flush twice, thus removing the crap? Would be more expensive, but very cheap compared to a rebuild/replace....

My 1999 Chev Venture had a magnet on the transmission cover. When it was being serviced, they would remove the cover and show me how thick the magnet was covered by shavings. Got rid of the van with over 296,000km, and the transmission never failed in any way, but that was disconcerting. Does the Dodge transmission have a similar manget that should be cleared once in a while?

Old 07-23-2013, 09:59 AM
aofarrell2
Champion

The problem is that the crap gets loosened, but not all of it gets out - the larger stuff usually stays in. All auto trannies are supposed to have a magnet in the bottom of the pan (most manual transmissions have one, or have a magnetic drain plug), if not they can be purchased at a auto parts store for about $20 or so.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:42 PM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by espacef1fan
I have a 2005 Grand Caravan with the 3.8. It is front wheel drive, stow and go.
It has about 155k miles on it.

I am planning on keeping it for awhile(its in good shape and fills our needs WELL)

However the miles are piling on and I am getting concerned about the transmission.

I purchased the van with 130k miles and as I said before it has 155k now.
The transmission seems to work great and the fluid looks fine and doesnt smell funny.

I have no idea when the fluid or filter was changed in it, however.

So I called around and every single shop REFUSES to flush and do filter change.
They claim that will loosen gunk/grit/crud/whatever that the transmission is using for friction on the clutches and stuff and then the transmission will slip/fail. Sounds kind of dumb to me, but there is the lingering doubt since they planted the seeds.
Thoughts?

Part two of this.

All of that crap aside, where is the best place(price and good product) to buy a new OR reman trans for my van? You know, just in case/ so I can start over with a piece of mind.
I'm gonna bet you aren't calling Dodge dealerships. They have no issue with flushing fluid and installing fresh ATF+4. Don't get it flushed at some quickie lube place because they will throw universal fluid in it and you will soon need a tranny rebuild. NONE of them use mfr-specified ATF+4.

That said, I would not get a tranny with 150K flushed if it has original fluid. You would risk clutch slippage with a sudden injection of 100% fresh fluid. I would instead remove the pan, change filter and install a $25 Dorman aftermarket pan with drain plug. The amount of fluid added will be around 50% because the torque converter will not drain. You can only drain about 4-1/2 qts out. This will be safer for your tranny. Diluting with 50% fresh fluid will slowly allow some varnish to dissolve over the next year or so without encouraging slip under heavy loading. The second flush a year or two from now will be fine...and cake with the pan plug lol.

ONLY run ATF+4. Autozone and Advance Auto carry Valvoline and Castrol ATF+4 for about $6/qt.

My 13 year old original 4spd runs like new with 220K mi. I've flushed it 3 times since new.

Last edited by Lscman; 07-23-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:48 PM
td1
Rookie

update....

the non-OEM factory recon tranny rebuild/install (from gentry) lasted about 2 years....she took a ****t 6 months ago....went with a Dodge Factory recon....warranty and the works....smooth as buttah. very happy.

airlift air bags are still rockin the rear. great upgrade if you load yer van down. i did install some upgraded koni shocks at the same time as the bags.....they are way too stiff.....works best with a load, really smooths out.....but dry? really hard ride in the rear.

probably going to replace the konis with something smoother...need that cush.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:38 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the info and the update.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:33 AM
td1
Rookie

Originally Posted by TNtech
Thanks for the info and the update.
surething

Old 05-30-2014, 06:41 AM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by b1lk1
1. Going over 65mph with any trailer, regardless of how light you think it is, is a very bad idea. Trailer tires are never rated for any speed over 65mph and it'll drag you off the road quite fast if it blows.
Lmao. Thats awesome.

Quick Reply: Where to buy trans and shop REFUSES to flush trans?!?!