Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Transmission probs 2001

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 05:51 PM
awkwardashley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission probs 2001

My dad has a 2001 Dodge grand caravan and apparently he's been having transmission problems. I don't know exactly what's wrong with it, but he said that it's got the check engine light on, and it makes a whining noise and sometimes stops out of the blue. o:
I think he put some trans fluid in it, and when I took it around the corner I couldn't hear the noise.
*edited
We let the van warm up (idle) in the driveway after taking it down the road & back and only then was it making the whining noise.
thoughts? any advice would be great.

Last edited by awkwardashley; 03-04-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:44 PM
kuyabribri
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since the CEL is on you should first take the van in to any local auto parts store or mechanic that will pull the codes for free (AutoZone, O'Reilly, etc). Work on fixing that issue(s) and if the whining noise still doesn't go away, then work on tracking the source of the noise.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:02 PM
VCarr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whining noise

Originally Posted by awkwardashley
My dad has a 2001 Dodge grand caravan and apparently he's been having transmission problems. I don't know exactly what's wrong with it, but he said that it's got the check engine light on, and it makes a whining noise and sometimes stops out of the blue. o:
I think he put some trans fluid in it, and when I took it around the corner I couldn't hear the noise.
*edited
We let the van warm up (idle) in the driveway after taking it down the road & back and only then was it making the whining noise.
thoughts? any advice would be great.
I think that a good place to start is replace the trany fluid if you havent do so, I would also replace the filter pan gasket and adjust the bands .... Good luck

Old 03-09-2013, 11:07 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

The code may have been a P0944 for a loss of prime. Because the whinning stop after fluid was added to the transmission. That means there is a leak and someone needs to have it checked out. Maybe front gasket or transmission lines are loose.

Quick Reply: Transmission probs 2001