Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1999 Dodge Caravan Sport 180K

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Maxx Ford
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Dodge Caravan Sport 180K

I have noticed that my gauge cluster has been winking out. If I tap on the dash all of the lights and gauges work again. Also, the airbag light stays on, the horn does not work and neither does cruise control. And, if I come to a stop once the van is running for a bit, the oil light indicator flashes and dings. As soon as I accelerate, it stops. This all developed over the past couple of weeks. It runs fine, just this weird electrical anomaly reared its head recently. As of a couple of weeks ago, none of this was happening. The cruise, horn worked. No airbag light staying on, none of this. And I do not have a check engine light. Any clues? Any ideas where to begin looking?

Old 03-10-2013, 06:51 PM
Maxx Ford

Nevermind, it looks like a clock spring issue. I did a search and found the recall, typed in my VIN on the chrysler site and it shoes an incomplete status on the clock spring replacement for this van. I will contact the dealer in the morning. Hopefully they will have one in stock, or know somebody who does and not cry too much or throw stuff around like children as they ultimately fix it.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your oil light won't be fixed by replacing the clockspring and is a more serious issue. Most likely the sender ($10) is bad but could be something serious like an oil pump, clogged journals or worn bearing races. A direct pressure gauge reading would eliminate the later causes. Dash lights sound like a connection problem in the form of cracked solder joints, loose connector or bad pin crimp.

Last edited by Cougar41; 03-10-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Maxx Ford

Got the clockspring replaced at the dealer under warranty in an hour and all the associated problems went way.

The oil light has not come back on but as you said that is a separate issue from the clockspring. I am going to have the oil pressure checked and hopefully just have to replace the sending unit if it is that. I can do that myself. If not, I will address whatever the issue is. Thanks for the response!

Quick Reply: 1999 Dodge Caravan Sport 180K