Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

P0404 code - bad EGR, 2008 and up (3.3, 3.8)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 10:08 AM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default P0404 code - bad EGR, 2008 and up (3.3, 3.8)

I'm a new owner of a used 2008 SXT GC. EGR's last about 100K mi or 5 yrs. Today was my lucky day.

While changing throttle position on varying terrain, I got a check engine light. It showed the P0404 code indicating EGR out of range. This is a very common code and it means the EGR is sticking due to being worn out or clogged. Time to replace it.

The EGR is mounted on the rear of the right cylinder head near the master cylinder and flimsy coolant Y-pipe.

An 8mm wrench will disconnect the EGR pipe from the EGR valve (2 bolt flange). This pipe passes over the top, back of the intake manifold to the valve.

The electrical connector comes off the EGR by sliding the red interlock button to the side. Then you can press the black lever and remove the connector. Be gentle, make sure the red interlock is not preventing the black lever from releasing.

The top bolt holding the EGR to the cylinder head is easy to access with 10mm wrench.

The lower 10mm bolt holding the EGR to the cylinder head takes some specific tools to reach because the exhaust crossover is in the way. I was able to use a 3/8" drive socket and thin breaker bar.

A new factory original EGR costs $90 delivered thru ebay. My dealer gives me about 30% off, so I got the same price local. They had 10 in stock....high turnover lol.

The factory EGR part#4593896AB comes with the metal head interface gasket and new bolts, but it does NOT come with the smaller fiber flange gasket that goes to the EGR pipe. You must separately buy that gasket or you will be making two trips to the dealer like me lol. Sorry I lost that part#.

The job takes an hour or two. I used antiseize on the bolts. You don't want the threads to get ripped out of the head.

PS: in 40 yrs of servicing, I've learned to avoid aftermarket parts for emissions, electrical timing and fuel calibration systems. When calibration is critical, you are better off with OEM factory parts. Aftermarket stuff often has generic calibrations to fit more applications and this can lead to tuning, efficiency and drivability problems.

Last edited by Lscman; 04-13-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:52 PM
Lscman
Veteran

this youtube video shows the EGR on an older vehicle sometime prior to 2008. The procedure is NOT the same. In later years, Chrysler moved the EGR from the left, front of the motor to the right, rear. This provided more room for serpentine accessories.

The EGR itself (in this video) looks almost identical to the one on my 2008.

Last edited by Lscman; 04-13-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:46 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

TSB NUMBER: 18-017-09 REV. A

SUBJECT:

Flash: MIL Illumination For P0404 - EGR Position Sensor Performance

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves flash reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new

software.

MODELS:

**2008** - 2009 (RT) Town & Country/Grand Voyager

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built with a 3.3L or 3.8L engine (Sales Codes

EGV or EGL) built before May 11, 2009 (MDH 0511XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Some customers may complain of a MIL illumination. Upon further investigation the

Technician may find that P0404 - EGR Position Sensor Performance has been set.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:32 PM
Lscman
Veteran

Thanks, maybe the EGR wasn't bad.

If I see the P0404 code with this new EGR, I'll report back!! I was watching EGR behavior with my laptop ScanTool software app. It shows EGR valve control action error in real time. The new EGR seems to have less error than the old one when the gas pedal is suddenly moved. I'm guessing maybe the sensitivity of the computer was set too high by the factory, so codes are set when the valve is still within acceptable limits. The flash update probably just allows greater errors for a longer duration without triggering a code.

Quick Reply: P0404 code - bad EGR, 2008 and up (3.3, 3.8)