Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

High idle after head gasket replaced

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 09:34 AM
SteDon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High idle after head gasket replaced

Hi, I'm looking for some ideas as to why the idle would be too high after replacing the head gasket on my 1995 Caravan with a 3.0 Liter.

Background: Last fall the van was burning a liter of water every 100 kms (but otherwise running fine) so I parked it and drained the coolant. I finally got around to replacing the head gasket this February. Replacement was straight forward with the usually oops like moving the crank with the timing belt off and no distributor.

Assembly: When putting it together I set the #1 at TDC (mark on crank in proper place) set the camshaft timing marks and installed the timing belt. All lined up perfectly (too perfect?). Installed the distributor with the rotor pointing (as closely as possible) to the #1 contact. This was a bit of a gotcha until I realized the #1 cap and contact are not the same. Connected all the wiring and vacuum lines. Started it up. Started good, set the timing at 12 BTC and the tach showed an idle of 1200 rpm. I could slow it down to 900 rpm by retarding the timing to 0 but then starting was very hard.

After: I have double checked all vacuum lines for correct installation and leaks (sprayed soapy water around the intake to see if there were leaks, but it didn't make a difference), checked electrical connects, distributor and 2 of the 3 timing marks (crank and front cam). It all looks good and no engine codes.

Ideas: Has anyone on the forum ever run into this before? Should I pull the covers off the side and confirm all timing marks (would it even run, let alone idle fast)? Could the distributor be out 1 tooth? I'm open to any ideas and suggestions.

Thanks

Last edited by SteDon; 03-11-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Montreal300
Professional

Soapy water is not going to show you where vacuum leaks are. Use a can of starter fluid to spray intake gaskets and vacuum hoses. The RPM jump will be very evident if you have a leak.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:15 PM
SteDon

Thanks Montreal300. What was I thinking, I read that in a Haynes manual! I had some brake cleaner on hand, sprayed that along the bottom of the intake by the injectors. Yup, darn near stalled the motor. I think I'll double check using something else and get some new gaskets for the intake.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: High idle after head gasket replaced