Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Rear Brakes. - Suggestions??

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 11:40 PM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by td1
you need to come for a ride sometime with me in the hippievan, pops.

not if you stay on the throttle. ive never swapped ends in the hippievan..."drive thru it old man"

wrong again.

put a load of gear and people in that machine, drive it down a grade and you run out of brake.

i can see that you and i are going nowhere in this conversation, so enjoy the rest of it with yourself.

Your hippievan does not interest me.

Please explain these things to me in a mature way and hold the birthday cake:

1) What makes you think I don't know how to drive thru corners? Do you have a drivers license? I have never swapped ends in any vehicle, except once at Watkins Glen when I lost a front brake hose entering a corner at 115MPH. Plenty of racers swap ends and hit the wall from over steer when that happens, I didn't. Only a pro wannabe would think that apply more throttle at excessive speed will always work. Don't even try to tell an HPDE instructor how to drive. The organic rear pads on the gen 5 (and especially on the OP's) do too much work already. They overwork the solid rotors and adding rear bias would encourage even more heat buildup and encourage the rear to break loose on wet or snowy roads. My whole family drives our grand caravan, not just me duh. My van is not set up for Road Racing or carrying 3 tons of cargo and I have no interest or plans to do that. I don't know where you live, but I will bet you $1K I can out run you at Mid Ohio or Watkins Glen. Your hardware won't matter because you will LOSE badly. I have dozens of first place track racing trophies competing in lesser hardware against legitimate racers with big money.

2) What is this running out of brake thing you are warning me about?? Is this a problem that everyone has unless they run the porterfields you specify? Please, I never once faded my brakes in my minivan! I'm sure my 4 wheel 12" disc brake system performs better than your tiny old school setup with porterfields on the front. All your braking is on the fronts....great for nothing and a variable proportioning valve won't fix that. I've had my vans loaded to the roof moving my kids to and from college to the point of laying on the bumpstops and the factory brake bias was just fine, no fade. This load you are talking about is b.s..

Last edited by Lscman; 06-01-2014 at 10:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear Brakes. - Suggestions??