Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 2005 Grand Caravan SXT, wise to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 09:21 PM
AliG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Grand Caravan SXT, wise to buy?

Hello,

I currently own a 2006 Scion xB with almost 100K miles. I run a DJ business and am looking to upgrade my vehicle. I came across a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT from a reputable dealership. The GC has 104K miles. It is a 1 owner car and Carfax did not report any issues with the van. I like the fact that the GC is Stow and Go. The xB is a great vehicle, and I can fit equipment when I have small events but when I have large events, I typically borrow my father's 2004 Caravan (his has the smaller wheelbase).

My father's Caravan is also a SXT but no Stow and Go seating and I hate taking the seats out all the time. My father bought the van used with a few miles and now it has 107K, no major issues except for the CEL being on. We have taken the van on a few trips plus I've used the van at various events I djayed at. Have any of you experienced problems with a 2005 Grand Caravan SXT, more so major problems? I know this model is notorious with the electronic sliding doors and how they stop working after some time. My family thinks 104K is too many miles for a van that age and the van could develop more problems as it ages.

For those of you who have a 2005 GC SXT with Stow and Go, what would be your advice or recommendation? Any or all help would be much appreciated!

Thank you.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:53 AM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't imagine why anyone would consider 104K to be high mileage for a 9 year old vehicle. IMO it's all about the rust. If this vehicle spent it's life in the rust belt, there's a good chance it may have only a relatively short time left before it rots out - primarily at the rockers, but rust-related problems show up in lots of other places as well. But OTOH, if this van has not been subjected to Winter (or ocean) salt, it could easily go another 10 years and 200K miles. Will there be some problems along the way? Yes, just like with any other used vehicle. But the engines in these vans are bulletproof, and the tranny should also be solid provided it's well maintained with ATF+4 and not subjected to abnormal stress (heavy-duty towing, etc). You didn't list the price, which of course is a big factor.
Any reason why whatever is causing the CEL in the '04 isn't getting taken care of? There's only one CEL, and there may be multiple codes/problems, even though he initially probably only saw one code.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:45 PM
AliG

Thanks for your input. The van is local and the original owner has kept the vehicle for the past 8 years. The dealership is asking 7997 but I'm thinking of offering 5000. I've heard that these vans do not have good resale value and so I would not ask no more than 5000.

In regard to the CEL, I need to take the van to AutoZone and get a readout of what the code is. Last time it was the O2 sensor and I replaced it but after a week the light came back on.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:46 PM
AliG

Oh and the vehicle has not been in the rust belt. It is a local car from NC.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:53 PM
cv2003
Veteran

I think that with an asking price of 8K, they probably won't go much below 7, and nowhere close to 5. But hey, never hurts to give it a shot. JMO, but I think an '05 with 104K miles and no rust would be worth 6K, assuming there are no problems. But it's easy for me to be spending your money
One thing I will say for certain is that being located in NC, you can find a better buy from a private sale using sources such as Craigslist. If you're willing to spend some time, I'm sure you could find an '05 in good shape for 4-5K - likely with higher mileage, but not way higher.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:47 PM
AliG

I did look at CL and came across a 2005 GC SXT with 105K. The seller is asking 5300, but I haven't had a chance to talk to him or her. One concern is that it has a two package whereas the GC at the dealership did not. I don't know if this means anything or not.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:14 PM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 2001 thru 2007 caravans all share the same issues. The 2005 is not particularly unique aside from the stow and go feature which is not particularly problematic.

I have a gen 4 with electric sliding doors and 230k miles, mostly medium and short trip commuting. Aside from rust issues it has given me no problems whatsoever. The only significant repairs were rear wheel bearings, radiator and driver's door window motor. The A/C is still cold and the engine and tranny are fine. The original suspension including struts feel like new.

If the body rocker panels and rear quarters didn't have rust holes from salt I would be running it for another 100K mi I'm sure. I don't think it will pass PA State inspection next year.

If you live in a southern non-rust belt area, a gen 4 should last 300k without serious headaches. The only caveat would be the transmission which will only last 150K mi or so unless the fluid is changed every 50K mi. If the tranny sees regular fluid changes every 50k mi, it can last twice as long as normal and reach 300k mi.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:23 PM
Lscman
Veteran

Originally Posted by cv2003
I think that with an asking price of 8K, they probably won't go much below 7, and nowhere close to 5. But hey, never hurts to give it a shot. JMO, but I think an '05 with 104K miles and no rust would be worth 6K, assuming there are no problems. But it's easy for me to be spending your money
One thing I will say for certain is that being located in NC, you can find a better buy from a private sale using sources such as Craigslist. If you're willing to spend some time, I'm sure you could find an '05 in good shape for 4-5K - likely with higher mileage, but not way higher.
Those prices sound high for 2005 thru 2007 gen 4. Gen 5 2008 thru 2010 sxt's with 100k mi go for $8K.

I would strongly recommend using autotraderdotcom instead of craigslist. You will find 50 matches on autotrader for every one on craigslist.

You can limit autotrader searches to private owner vehicles if that's what you prefer. I can't see any advantage to avoiding dealerships though. Private owners are typically selling because they are wanting to get over book value instead of trade-in pricing. New car dealerships are often dumping used cars taken in on trade near cost. The alternative is to auction them off for even less.

Last edited by Lscman; 05-29-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:48 AM
cv2003
Veteran

Originally Posted by Lscman
I can't see any advantage to avoiding dealerships though.
Price.

I spent the first 3 months of this year doing an intensive search in the Southeast for a used van for my daughter. I put a lot of time into this, and did try Autotrader and a few other used car sites multiple times. I was finding essentially nothing from private sellers, and some that looked to be privates were actually dealers in drag. And the dealer prices that I was seeing were consistently 2-3K above the true privates, with one lone exception. An outfit called Bailey's near Roanoke had 6 vans priced well, but when I went there they turned out to all be dogs (just confirmed what I had expecting to find).
So I ended up basically using Craigslist to make the buy. It's true that there is lots of junk on CL, and there could be lots of toads to kiss before finding the handsome prince. I believe that one's level of success will depend on 1) how much effort is given to the search, and 2) the buyers ability to evaluate the vehicles (and the owners).
I don't consider myself to have widespread knowledge of many different vehicle makes and models, but when it comes to these 4 gen vans, I've become very comfortable about what I'm looking at.
I ended up buying a CL '05 in NC with 128K miles for 3K, and am VERY pleased with that deal.
JMHO and as always, YMMV.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:05 AM
Lscman
Veteran

If you want to believe that private owner vehicles are always better or cheaper without exception, that's fine. However limiting your search to private owner vehicles can't possibly reduce the price. It can only reduce the # of vehicles to choose from. I prefer a wider selection, some don't.

It is not reasonable to assume that dealerships ALWAYS cost more. I have found that to be false.

More vehicles to choose from = more options and better pricing

I bought my last two vehicles from a dealership but that was entirely coincidental, not purposeful. My van was definitely cheaper than private owner comparables I found at that time, as was another van I found and decided not to buy.

I see no reason to exclude private owners or dealerships. Some people assume private owner vehicles are treated better or whatever. Each car has a unique history that varies from one end of the spectrum to the other...some are winners, others losers. Where you buy it means next to nothing.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 2005 Grand Caravan SXT, wise to buy?