Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Bad ignition coil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Daveinva
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad ignition coil?

Hi:

2002 3.3L Grand Caravan. Engine is miss-firing bad at every speed. Did not throw any codes though and no engine light.

I pulled off boots at ignition coil to check for spark and I get NO spark at no. 1 boot (cylinder). All other boots, when removed, made engine miss even worse. When 1 is removed it continues to miss the same way.

I'm assuming the ignition coil is bad, but before I replace I just wanted to get some advice and make sure that's my problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx,
Dave

Old 03-23-2013, 04:06 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coil? Not yet. You first have to prove the plug wire and plug at cylinder #1 are ok. That is most likely where your problem is as 98% of the time when a coil in the pack goes bad it drops two cylinders.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Daveinva

Thanks for your reply Cougar...Replaced plugs about 1,000 miles ago. Tried to get the no.4 wire to just get a spark from the coil at no. 1 and there's no spark coming off the coil

Also, if no. 1 is bad in the coil, what should be the other one that should drop?

Edit: i just confirmed that BOTH the no. 1 and the no. 5 wires are NOT getting spark at the coil. The other 4 are all working.

Last edited by Daveinva; 03-23-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Daveinva

Just a quick update for anyone else dealing with this issue. It DID turn out to be the ignition coil. BOTH no#1 and No#5 were not firing from the coil. New coil did the trick.

Now, another question...does anyone know where I can get ABS codes read? My reader does not read ABS codes.

Stopped in at Advance Auto today and the guy there said they weren't allowed to read them since it was a safety issue? Typically, can the parts stores read them for you or do you have to pay someone?

Quick Reply: Bad ignition coil?