Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

97 caravan loses power, cam sensor bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 01:25 PM
wags70ss
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 caravan loses power, cam sensor bad?

I am working on a 97 caravan with the 3.3L engine. It runs fine when it is cold, but once it warms up it will lose power & the only way I can get it to move is by constantly pumping the gas pedal. Then it only goes maybe 5 mph & if I stop pumping the gas pedal it will die. I drove it this way for about 5 miles.

Before I drove it, I checked the codes & it had a lean bank one code, misfire on 1 & 3 codes & a random misfire code. I cleared the codes & drove it & after 5 miles of running that way it did not turn on the CEL.

It acts like it has a plugged fuel filter or a plugged exhaust, but Im wondering if it has a bad cam sensor.

Anybody see this problem before?

Old 04-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Montreal300
Professional

Haven't experienced this but typically if the cam or crank sensor is out of whack starting is tough and running is rough as well. It sounds like the problem occurs when you come off of the open loop cycle to the close loop. Check the wiring to the IAT sensor and the sensor itself for dirt.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:26 PM
wags70ss

Here is an update so if anyone has this problem they will know what may be the cause. I decided to do a major tune up & replace the cam sensor too. I had to remove the upper plenum anyhow so I just did it all. New plugs & wires, also dropped the gas tank & replaced the fuel filter. While I had the intake off I replaced the cam sensor & also the PCV valve & hoses. Started it up & it ran like crap - for about 30 seconds, then it smoothed out & runs great now. Im guessing the cam sensor was the culprit, but the tune up was definitely needed too so I did it all. Runs great now! Hope this helps someone else down the road.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:56 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Thats for the update.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:54 PM
wags70ss

Just so you all know the fuel pump was bad. It was barely pumping fuel.

Quick Reply: 97 caravan loses power, cam sensor bad?