Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Changed sparkplug wires, now running extremely rich?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Joshua Frey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed sparkplug wires, now running extremely rich?

I have a 1997 Grand Caravan SE Sport Gold Edition. It has the 3.3L V6. I had the engine light on and had the codes checked, "Random misfire" is what the tech told me.

So I replaced the spark plugs (they were disgusting and corroded on the wire end) and it ran a lot better. The error went away and all was well for a few months. Then they came back. The same error codes, and it felt like I was only running on 4-5 of my 6 cylinders. So I checked the plugs, and they were fine, so I changed the spark plug wires. It feels like I'm running on all 6 again, but now I'm running extremely rich. The exhaust isn't black or thick, but it is visible.

I called my grandfather and he thinks I may have bumped the MAP or one of the other sensors, or accidentally pulled one of the vacuum hoses. I don't know where the sensors or the vacuum hoses are, but if I'm directed to them I could find them and put them aright. I'm also open to other possibilities of what could be wrong.

Please keep in mind I'm not a mechanic, I can only do basic things like changing the spark plugs and wires, changing the serpentine belt, and replacing the water pump, and changing out the BCM (all things that I've had to do on this thing), so I'll need simple instructions to do anything other than those.

Thanks!

Old 04-11-2013, 08:35 PM
clinteastwood

Are you idling high? If so, I'd check your vacuum hoses. Their is a bunch around the right side of the plenum, or the big metal thing on the very top of your engine with the 3.3L stamped on it. See if any of those are broken, many of them go to the EGR valve, an emissions part.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:38 PM
Joshua Frey

Alright, I'll check those when I get home from work, thanks. I'll let you know if that takes care of it.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Montreal300
Professional

Sometimes vacuum leaks can be very hard to find. The easy ones are the ones that whistle with a high pitched note. Another way is to buy a spray can of starter fluid and just spray the hoses and connections. When the RPM jumps up, thats the spot where the leak is. When spraying, be careful and use only 1/2 second bursts with about 5 seconds between each burst and do it outdoors.

Quick Reply: Changed sparkplug wires, now running extremely rich?