Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Reinstalling AC?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Averjoe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reinstalling AC?

I have a 96 Grand Caravan SE that the AC compressor locked up on about three years ago. Lacking the funds to fix it at the time, I simply added a pulley to tension the belt and left it that way. Now, my wife wants me to re-install the AC.

The system has been open to the elements for more than three years now, and I am concerned that there may be corrosion or rust in the remaining part of the system that may destroy any new components I install. Is it even worth trying to fix or is it ultimately going to be more trouble than it is worth?

Old 04-23-2013, 11:14 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Going to be expensive. The compressor seized up because there was a leak in the system and when Freon gets low, the oil doesn't circulate as it should and then the compressor seizes. Common on the '96 is the evaporator coil. Easy to check, fold down the glove box and pop out the large grommet for the evap temp probe. If it was leaking it will be all stained. Condensers were also common leak areas but more from rock hits. Probably going to want to flush the system and then vacuum it for a long time to remove the moisture in there.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:55 PM
Averjoe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How expensive do you think? Granted, I know any cost you give me is going to be ballpark, but I'm trying to see if it's even going to be worth it. The van is in decent condition, but it's starting to show it's age and some of the Caravan quirks are starting to show up. She's already on her third transmission.

I've found places to get the parts, but that alone is going to run me about $400. I can do the work of putting it in, but flushing, vacuuming and charging it might well be outside my comfort zone. Well, I COULD do it, but it would be questionable as to if I did it correctly. No point replacing all the hardware only to screw it up at the end.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:46 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have no idea what the aftermarket charges for stuff. Evac and recharge is probably the only thing you would have to have done and it usually runs around $150....maybe less. The bulk of the expense is in the labor so if you can do the install your ahead of the game. Flush is just a chemical you put in a container and pressurize then shoot it through the lines to clean the crap out.

Quick Reply: Reinstalling AC?