Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2001 3.3L Grand Caravan Sport front crankshaft seal leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 09:53 AM
riverjamie
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do I put the pry bar behind the dampner to check for movement? How much should be normal, if any? And if there is some then what will fix it? Also any thoughts on the puller, type to use? I just saw one on Amazon it looks like it designed for Chrysler $58. Does the crank bolt have to be replaced when doing this procedure? Last what about removing the seal? Thanks for replying

Old 05-30-2013, 12:30 PM
zero10
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could use it against the center part of the damper, but you will probably need to fit a dial indicator against the nose of the crank (damper bolt) to measure the end play. You will want to pry back and forth to measure the total amount of play.

I don't believe it is necessary to replace the crank bolt after removing it.

To remove the seal there are a number of techniques, small pick, driving a screw through it, carefully prying it out. Pick whatever method suits you just be very careful not to nick the crank or the outer housing that the seal sits inside.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:51 AM
riverjamie
Professional

Thanks to all who replied. I took off the tire and cover for the drive belt. Luckly it looks to be just the seal that is leaking. I don't see any signs of oil coming from above. I also decided to take to my mechanic to have the seal replaced. $150 + seal. It would cost me $70 for the puller alone. Their going to inspect the crankshaft for wear, hopefully there won't be much. I'll give some more feedback after the job is done.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:02 AM
kuyabribri
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by riverjamie
I also decided to take to my mechanic to have the seal replaced. $150 + seal. It would cost me $70 for the puller alone.
That's actually not bad for mechanic work. For what it's worth and for future reference AutoZone has this tool available for loan if there's a store near you - it's free with a deposit of the full purchase price of the tool. I don't like buying tools that only serve one specific purpose, so AutoZone's tool loan program has saved me quite a lot of money and headache ever since I started doing my own car work.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:00 AM
Lscman
Veteran

Originally Posted by riverjamie
Thanks to all who replied. I took off the tire and cover for the drive belt. Luckly it looks to be just the seal that is leaking. I don't see any signs of oil coming from above. I also decided to take to my mechanic to have the seal replaced. $150 + seal. It would cost me $70 for the puller alone. Their going to inspect the crankshaft for wear, hopefully there won't be much. I'll give some more feedback after the job is done.
The seal does not ride on the crankshaft, so it will not be worn. The damper hub is what gets worn or grooved from the seal. This hub is what gets pulled with the tool to replace the seal.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:50 AM
riverjamie
Professional

Lscman

Are you 100% sure that the seal rides on the Damper and not on the crankshaft on a 2001 Grand Caravan 3.3L engine? If so I need to go and get the damper incase it's worn? When I look at the area it looks like the damper stops about 1/4 inch from the seal? But it could be that the damper then steps down to another shaft that goes inside the seal? I really need to know?

Just found this online after speaking to a Dodge Dealer, giving him my vin, the part number is 4448886 Dampner. Here's a link I found online I don't think it rides on the Damper by looking at this photo? Take a look it's rough on the surface and it's tapered so don't think the seal rides on it?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwCQ&dur=8317

Just found this one on ebay which confirms 4448886 tapered shaft. No doubt it would be better if it did ride on the damper. But now if crankshaft has a grove might have to go with a sleeve?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHRYSLER-DODGE-3-3L-3-8L-HARMONIC-BALANCER-DAMPER-MOPAR-/350732409555?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51a947dad3&vxp=mtr
Thanks

Last edited by riverjamie; 06-02-2013 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Had to correct year from 2000 to 2001
Old 06-02-2013, 09:26 AM
Lscman
Veteran

I have not worked on Dodge engine front cover area before, so I assumed wrong. I'm a Ford, GM and BMW motor guy.

Upon looking at my factory Chrysler service manual, it is clear the seal does ride on the snout/nose of the 3.3/3.8 crank. Therefore it is very critical that your shop uses the special dodge tool. If this is a generic shop, I'd be taking it to a dodge dealer to avoid a $1500 crank replacement job. Use of the wrong tools will likely destroy the crank or damage the damper. Neither of those two parts will be damaged if the factory tools are used for pulling the damper and pulling/installing the seal.

Sleeves are seldom needed unless the engine has well over 200K mi. My 3.3 has 210K mi on it and the seal is not leaking yet. I would try a new seal without a sleeve unless the mechanic sees a bad groove and recommends otherwise.. Leaks are usually due to worn seals, not grooved surface. Sleeves introduce other issues and are only last resort.

Last edited by Lscman; 06-02-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:24 PM
riverjamie
Professional

Okay, got the new seal put in so hoping that's all it needed? Going to take for a drive this weekend and ck it out.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:02 PM
riverjamie
Professional

400 miles and still no leak from front seal, so hopefully just a worn out seal.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:18 AM
riverjamie
Professional
Default Update

Well have about 600 miles on new front seal, and still not leaks. So hopefully just some worn out parts. I didn't check for crankshaft end play, but hoping it's not an issue.

Quick Reply: 2001 3.3L Grand Caravan Sport front crankshaft seal leaking?