Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2001 3.3L Grand Caravan Sport front crankshaft seal leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:49 AM
riverjamie
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 3.3L Grand Caravan Sport front crankshaft seal leaking?

I have a 2001 3.3L GCS. After just replacing the Oil Pan Gasket it seems that the FRONT CRANKSHAFT SEAL is leaking a Very Very small amount. But just want to find out on this engine what is involved and needed besides the seal. I've read a little at another site that said something about replacing the Harmonic Balancer Sleeve. Not sure if my engine has this part? If so how do I remove and install.

What I'm hoping is that the rear main seal also not going? Any thoughts on this? How are to remove transaxle? Thanks

Old 05-20-2013, 12:02 PM
RickMN
Veteran

If the harmonic balancer has a groove worn into it, then "sleeving" it is an alternative to replacing it. It's a very thin stainless steel sleeve that fits over the shaft so the new seal rides on a fresh surface. The kit usually comes with an adhesive to lock the sleeve in place. After you install the new seal, make sure you pre-lube it with oil or grease. Never install the harmonic balancer into a a dry seal.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:20 PM
riverjamie
Professional

Hi Rick thanks for replying. So are you saying that the Harmonic Balancer is the same as the Lower Crank Pulley? So when I remove the pulley I should see the Sleeve if it is there? Or is this some thing else to add?

Thanks

Old 05-22-2013, 09:21 AM
zero10
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think there is a sleeve on there from the factory. I had the front cover off my 2005 3.3L engine and I don't recall seeing a sleeve on the nose of the crankshaft or anywhere else in that area.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:33 PM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jamie, It's far more complicated than that. You are going to need a serice manual and special puller tools specific to Dodge Caravan. A backyard mechanic who has never done a front seal before will invariably destroy the damper. You can't pull it using conventional methods or common sense. Trust me on that...I learned the hard way 30 yrs ago.

A sleeve is the total mickey mouse tight-wad way of trying to fix a leak. I watched my neighbor spend two long days putting a sleeve on an LT1 Corvette. When he was done the sleeve leaked....what a huge mistake to save $80 in parts. The labor is about the same as doing the job right, so the only thing you save with the sleeve solution is the material cost for a new damper or damper spindle.

Some dampers are two piece and others are one. The one-piece dampers are the expensive ones and you can pay upwards of $200 for one of those. The two piece dampers allow you to only replace the little spindle hub adapter piece that the oil seal rides on which bolts to the end of the crankshaft. the damper spindles are typically $40 or so.

The proper way to repair a front seal leak is to replace the seal and inspect the damper to see if it has a deep groove worn in it. If it has a groove worn, you either reposition the new seal more deeply or more shallow so it does not ride in the existing groove or buy a new damper spindle (if 2 piece design) or new damper (if one piece design).

Last edited by Lscman; 05-23-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:38 PM
georgef
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The seal seats on the crankshaft not the damper, so if you have a groove worn in the crankshaft a sleeve may be a reasonable fix.

George

Old 05-24-2013, 08:38 AM
riverjamie
Professional

Thanks to three of you above for the replies. So far it really hasn't leaked much yet. Will take a long ride this weekend and then ck it out. Hopefully it's doing okay. Again thanks for the feedback.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:08 PM
zero10
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not fair to say that the damper will invariably be destroyed, and it is not accurate that the seal rides on the damper either. Are you perhaps thinking of a different engine?

I'd be really shocked to see a groove worn in the crankshaft, they seem to hold up pretty well and it is likely just a seal replacement is required. Removing the damper is a bit of a pain but can be done with a thin headed 3-jaw puller and something to protect the nose of the crankshaft.

Have you thoroughly inspected the front cover gasket as well?

Old 05-28-2013, 10:32 PM
riverjamie
Professional

Okay, this weekend drove the car about 200 miles, 100 mile trip one way then two days later another 100 miles on the way back. Put the car up on some drive up ramps an noticed the oil was forming on the front of the end going near the timing cover and oil pan, then going down a long the back side of the oil pan. I inspected the front crankshaft seal and it was pretty wet, with signs of oil coming down to the area that I mentioned above. So pretty sure the front oil seal is the problem. Now the question is, has anyone replaced this seal on a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport with 3.3L engine? Just trying to find out what is needed? Is there anything else I should know about or check out? I saw some info on Autozone on line manual that said you need two special tools I think it said C4991 and C4992? I could be wrong on the tool numbers. But can I do it with out these special tools? What about getting the damper off the crankshaft and seal out? If the crankshaft has a worn area does the sleeve go in behind the timing chain cover or is it installed from the outside before the damper goes on? Thanks

Last edited by riverjamie; 05-28-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:27 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Before you do anything, get a pry bar and check to see if the crankshaft has a lot of movement. On the early 3.3 and the 2.4, dodge had some engines where the crankshaft was walking and cause the front seals to leak.

Quick Reply: 2001 3.3L Grand Caravan Sport front crankshaft seal leaking?