Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2012 Dodge caravan temperature gauge

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 05:17 PM
lightning_quick1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Dodge caravan temperature gauge

When the vehicle is moving, the gauge always hovers around the 11-12 o'clock mark.

But when I am in a short line at a drive-thru, it would move pass the 12, and even as high as 1:00 o'clock mark. The cooling fan comes on and it takes a minute to move back to 12:00...then back to 11-12 when the van is moving again. Does this engine runs hot or what?

It doesn't matter what the weather outside temp is (today it's 50 degree f). The van has 6k miles and seems to work great otherwise.

I included a pic as to what I am talking about....thanks.

Attached Thumbnails 2012 Dodge caravan temperature gauge-dodge-grand-caravan-cluster.jpg  

Last edited by lightning_quick1; 05-25-2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-25-2013, 05:37 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't say specifically because I don't own one but temp gauges on most cars will do that because there is no air flowing through the radiator when standing. Fans kick on providing air flow and it will cool down.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:03 PM
kuyabribri
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never seen a car have that much fluctuation in the temperature needle, but as long as the cooling fan comes on and the needle never goes past what you labeled as "drive thru" then you don't have that big of a problem.

As a sanity check, you might want to check if your cooling system is full.

Quick Reply: 2012 Dodge caravan temperature gauge