Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

'02 Grand Caravan Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 03:50 PM
wrenchmatt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 Grand Caravan Starting Issues

Hi all! I just got an '02 Grand Caravan w/225k miles. It only runs/starts intermittently. Put a fresh battery in it. Sometimes it cranks sometimes it doesn't. And when it cranks it usually shows no indication that its gonna start. But on the occasions when it does start it seems to run fine. Seems like the dash gauges don't have any juice when we are having starting troubles too.

I'm not very experienced with this model of vehicle. I'm working with a '96 - '02 Haynes manual, so I don't have good wiring diagrams.

Replaced the ignition/starter switch w/ no effect. -- Matt

Old 05-28-2013, 09:59 PM
wrenchmatt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm beginning to suspect the computer. According to my Haynes manual the starter relay gets triggered by a signal from the ECM. I've pulled the relay and fed voltage to the starter and it cranks every time. I've replaced the relay.

There are used ECM computers for sale at local wrecking yards. Can I put one of those right in as a replacement, or is reprograming required?

Any ideas on where to get a good wiring diagram would be appreciated too. -- Matt

Last edited by wrenchmatt; 05-28-2013 at 10:02 PM.

Quick Reply: '02 Grand Caravan Starting Issues