Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 12:17 PM
angelatrice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help!!

I have a 1996 dodge caravan 3.0 with 160,000 miles. Have almost changed everything on this van! Had a new engine put in last week, ran great! Until yesterday it broke down, it turns over but wont start back up. Get no spark, changed the crank sensor, still no start. There isn't even anything getting to the coil. So is it the computer? Which one since this van has 2. Do I have to replace them both? I know that the computers have to be programmed to the VIN number. Also none of my gauges work, they haven't for a long time. They do work if I run the van with the heat on for a long time, they will eventually register. Also the lights where the gauges never work. Any suggestions?? I'm really getting tired of this, I need my van running!!!! Please help!!!

Old 05-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No start - If the PCM doesn't see the camshaft or crankshaft signal while cranking, it will remove the ground to the ASD relay coil. That cuts power to the coil, fuel injectors, O2 sensor heaters and sometimes the fuel pump. I would confirm that circuit is working as designed before forking over the bucks for a new PCM. If it comes to it you only need the PCM. It's mounted outboard of the battery.

Gauges - A common problem caused by a common culprit. It's likely the solder joints securing the connector to the instrument cluster circuit board are cracked and need to be reflowed with a soldering iron. You mentioned heat cures it. That can indicate you have the solder joint problem. Bringing the gauges back to life by smacking the dash above the cluster is another sign. This video shows you how to remove the cluster and make the repair. This could also cause no starts.

Another less common cause is a melted connector on the back of the HVAC control panel. It melts, distorts the contacts, breaking the data bus circuit between it and the cluster.

Last edited by Cougar41; 05-27-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:56 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Try removing the cluster and unplug it and try to start the engine. If the endine starts and run, order a cluster board. The circiut board is taking the bus circuit down.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:13 PM
angelatrice

Thank you sooo much, Im going to try that tomorrow.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:39 PM
angelatrice

One more question. The van died on me while driving down the freeway then wouldnt start back up, could the circuit board have caused that? I noticed the day before it happened the speedo needle went and got stuck at 120 mph?

Old 05-29-2013, 12:29 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

It could.