Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Possible 3.3L blowby problem 2001 Grand Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 01:23 PM
riverjamie
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible 3.3L blowby problem 2001 Grand Caravan

First this is about BLOWBY. I'm the same person with the crankshaft front seal leaking. So here's what I'm thinking. 2001 Grand Caravan 3.3L eng. 137k runs good, but sometimes in the morning it's a little rough, but after I drive it a block it runs fine. Lately have noticed some oil leaking. So I first replaced the valve cover gaskets. Then noticed the Oil Press Sw leaking and maybe a little from the Oil filter, but it could have just been dripping down from the Oil Press SW. So replaced the Oil SW and new oil filter. Since then no oil leaking out of Oil Pressure Sw. Then still noticed some oil coming from the oil pan area, so replaced the oil pan gasket. Ran car 100 miles then another 100 miles back from weekend trip. Noticed Oil near the front of eng. Removed front Passenger tire and serpentine belt cover and saw oil has been coming out of the front timing cover crankshaft sea, and not above itl. Mechanic is going to install new seal next week.

So now that I explained all of this, I was thinking maybe the old engine is developing a BLOWBY problem? The eng doesn't smoke or seem to use a lot of oil (5-30W)? Last year I replaced the PCV with a Standard Motor Products V369 (but who knows maybe it's bad)? Has anyone had problems with Aftermarket PCV's not working? The factory PCV is 4694335AB. Maybe should use the factory part? COULD it cause this problem? Is it the only way for Blowby to escape? I recently redid the rear valve cover gasket thinking it was leaking down the rear. I can't remember if I checked the PCV at that time? I think I'll get a new PCV and replace anyhow.

Okay today installed the new Mopar PCV 4694335AB it looked just like the Standard Motor Products PCV color (Black top with Gray body) so not sure if Standard made it for Mopar??? Also while I had the old Standard Motor one out, I connected it to the Vac hose and turned on the engine, it seemed to have a lot of suction. I also put my finger over the valve cover empty PCV hole and felt no back pressure?? So hopefully the seals, gaskets, and Oil Pressure Sw were just leaking?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited by riverjamie; 06-01-2013 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Needed to add info
Old 06-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by riverjamie
First this is about BLOWBY. I'm the same person with the crankshaft front seal leaking. So here's what I'm thinking. 2001 Grand Caravan 3.3L eng. 137k runs good, but sometimes in the morning it's a little rough, but after I drive it a block it runs fine. Lately have noticed some oil leaking. So I first replaced the valve cover gaskets. Then noticed the Oil Press Sw leaking and maybe a little from the Oil filter, but it could have just been dripping down from the Oil Press SW. So replaced the Oil SW and new oil filter. Since then no oil leaking out of Oil Pressure Sw. Then still noticed some oil coming from the oil pan area, so replaced the oil pan gasket. Ran car 100 miles then another 100 miles back from weekend trip. Noticed Oil near the front of eng. Removed front Passenger tire and serpentine belt cover and saw oil has been coming out of the front timing cover crankshaft sea, and not above itl. Mechanic is going to install new seal next week.

So now that I explained all of this, I was thinking maybe the old engine is developing a BLOWBY problem? The eng doesn't smoke or seem to use a lot of oil (5-30W)? Last year I replaced the PCV with a Standard Motor Products V369 (but who knows maybe it's bad)? Has anyone had problems with Aftermarket PCV's not working? The factory PCV is 4694335AB. Maybe should use the factory part? COULD it cause this problem? Is it the only way for Blowby to escape? I recently redid the rear valve cover gasket thinking it was leaking down the rear. I can't remember if I checked the PCV at that time? I think I'll get a new PCV and replace anyhow.

Okay today installed the new Mopar PCV 4694335AB it looked just like the Standard Motor Products PCV color (Black top with Gray body) so not sure if Standard made it for Mopar??? Also while I had the old Standard Motor one out, I connected it to the Vac hose and turned on the engine, it seemed to have a lot of suction. I also put my finger over the valve cover empty PCV hole and felt no back pressure?? So hopefully the seals, gaskets, and Oil Pressure Sw were just leaking?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks
oh.......

Seals will indeed chronically leak and or fail with blowby. It is a waste of time to replace leaking seals on an engine with known blowby problem, so put that job on hold.

I have never heard of a problem with aftermarket pcv designs. If it's not using excess oil, I'd investigate the whole crankcase ventilation system and see if something is missing, damaged or loose. There's a lot more to it than a pcv. It involves hoses routed this way and that & one may be plugged or have a hole or leak. Every engine design varies.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:32 AM
riverjamie
Professional

Frist thank you for replying. I would agree with you on the aftermarket PCV's. I've installed a few over the years and have had no problems. But just for insurance, I installed the factory one. I'm really not sure if the engine even has a Blowby problem, I was just thinking what would cause problems with oil leaking. When I had the valve covers off for the gaskets, it seemed like there was proper oiling, and not pooling up. So I think that the draining back to the crankcase is okay. Which I guess means that the pressure in the crankcase should be able to escape up to head and out the PCV? Also the motor has another breather line from the other valve cover without the PCV that goes up to the air cleaner assy. There was no sign of oil being forced up there? It all maybe just conquincidence, the engince does have 139K. The Oil Filter and Oil Pressure Sw have had no leaking since I replaced them about 500 miles. I'm not the familiar with the way crankcase pressure is released back into the system? Maybe I can find it on Google?

Thanks again for the feedback.

Last edited by riverjamie; 06-03-2013 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Clarify an issue
Old 06-04-2013, 12:15 PM
zero10
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a little bit old school, but if you want to check for a blowby problem plug the PCV and vent lines and remove the oil filler cap. If you have a strong wind coming out the filler hole then you have a blowby problem. A tiny bit of air and oil mist is fine, and that is what I would expect you will find.

The other line from the valve cover is to allow filtered air into the crankcase area to prevent from running with the crankcase under vacuum. No sign of oil in that line also helps to indicate you do not have a crankcase pressurization problem.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zero10
This is a little bit old school, but if you want to check for a blowby problem plug the PCV and vent lines and remove the oil filler cap. If you have a strong wind coming out the filler hole then you have a blowby problem. A tiny bit of air and oil mist is fine, and that is what I would expect you will find.

The other line from the valve cover is to allow filtered air into the crankcase area to prevent from running with the crankcase under vacuum. No sign of oil in that line also helps to indicate you do not have a crankcase pressurization problem.
indeed plus oil dipsticks become dislodged.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:13 AM
riverjamie
Professional

First thanks again for both of you replying. Yesterday I had the front crankcase seal replaced. So hoping that all the other gaskets, Oil Press SW, and oil filter were just needed from wearing out with 139k of course not the oil filter. I haven't seen any oil in the breather tube or had problems with the oil dip stick popping up.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:04 PM
riverjamie
Professional

400 miles on new seal and no leaks, so hopefully just a worn out seal?

Edit info: Well it's been 600 miles and still no leaks. So looks like just some worn out parts.

Last edited by riverjamie; 06-21-2013 at 09:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Possible 3.3L blowby problem 2001 Grand Caravan