Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2000 no crank

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 09:42 PM
joe_83
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 no crank

Specs: 2000 Dodge caravan 3.0L
309890 Km

Story: The van worked perfectly 3 days ago, no issues starting. Sat for 2 rainy days in my driveway. Went to start it yesterday and no crank whatsoever. Lights and instrument cluster all light up. It only clicks when I turn the key to start.

Tried: Checked voltage at starter 12V there. Swapped starter relay, nothing. Did drop test on negative to ground, no voltage present. Held trip and reset switch for diagnostics, I get Code 940, and the usual 999 after. Tried hooking up my OBD2 reader to port and get no connection at all.

Am I looking at a bad PCM? I get clicks at the ASD (eatx) relay when I plug in my OBD2 reader, key on. Relay also clicks when I try to start it. Battery is fully charged. If PCM was bad that would be why I have no OBD2 port connection right? Or could this be an asd relay problem, faulty wiring to key or crank sensor?
Thanks in advance

Old 06-18-2013, 11:16 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good bet the starter solenoid contacts are worn. Tap on the starter while you crank it. It will probably start. If you hear either the starter relay or starter click the PCM is good. The PCM supplies the ground to the starter relay coil. The relay powers the starter solenoid in the starter. Without that ground, no click.

Which starter connection were you seeing 12vdc at? At the battery feed you'll see 12vdc with your keys on the kitchen table. At the solenoid feed you should see 12vdc when you turn the key to start. If you're seeing the later, that's another sign of bad solenoid contacts. It means everything is working except the starter.

Last edited by Cougar41; 06-18-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:07 PM
joe_83
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 wires go to the starter, neg, pos and solenoid (brown wire). When testing solenoid do i check wire to chassis for power? Cause i only get about 2- 2.3 vdc using that method. I hear no clicking at the starter at all, and i believe what is causing the clicks is not the starter relay but the ASD relay. I had thought the same as you Cougar, forgot to mention I tried tapping it, nothing... 12VDC is on the pos and neg.

Quick Reply: 2000 no crank