Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Two fobs don't work, Caravan is dead

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 09:50 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac Bentley
It's a 2009, 94,000 miles. We expect to have it paid off in a couple of weeks, then will have a little extra money to get it fixed. In the meantime, I'll do what QQ prescribed and visit a service manager or two to see what kind of repair cost I'll be looking at.
I'll post updates.
Mac
If you need to replace the WIN(ignition cylinder) ask for a Mopar Remote Start Kit, they are almost the same price. and comes with 2 extra keys.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:46 AM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No sense in visiting a service mgr after a reboot was performed. Troubleshooting is now impossible. As Steak59 said, just save up for a remote starter kit and get it towed next time instead of rebooting it.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:43 AM
QinteQ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It wasn't working, it is working now, no one has emptied Mac Bentley's pockets, assuming the batteries in the FOBS are ok and s/he marry's the FOB[s] to the SCREEM as per #8, I expect Mac Bentley to post back here in 6 months or a year or so and tell me there have been no further problems.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:38 AM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QinteQ
It wasn't working, it is working now, no one has emptied Mac Bentley's pockets, assuming the batteries in the FOBS are ok and s/he marry's the FOB[s] to the SCREEM as per #8, I expect Mac Bentley to post back here in 6 months or a year or so and tell me there have been no further problems.
Please note Mac Bentley owns a 2009, not a 2005. A SCREEM or FOB is not involved at all. They have a WIN with FOBIK. The hardware and firmware is entirely different.

Of course it's working, but the problem is absolutely not fixed. An occasional WIN Module stall condition requiring reboot is caused by faulty computer hardware. This problem plagues the 2008-2010 GC fleet. Owners are selling their vans out of frustration with this issue.

It really depends upon who drives the car and whether you wish to cross your fingers on a daily basis. If your wife is driving it and has a night shift job in a city, it might not be good to risk it.

As with the blue screen of death on Windows NT due to buggy code, you can play the reboot game as long as you wish. However an upgrade is necessary to prevent the problem.

Last edited by Lscman; 07-22-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:26 AM
QinteQ

Originally Posted by Lscman
Please note Mac Bentley owns a 2009, not a 2005. A SCREEM or FOB is not involved at all. They have a WIN with FOBIK. The hardware and firmware is entirely different.
Lscman,

- in that case I have to say fair comment, I didn't realise the security system was different
- I appreciate you putting me right [rear antenna - TSB#08-040-11]
- that's what the forums are for, Mac Bentley will note this #

Last edited by QinteQ; 07-22-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Mac Bentley

Update: it's been nearly two months and we've not had a reoccurance of our problem. I'll let you know when/if it happens again.
After my original postings, my wife confessed that she had a habit of clicking the door-unlock button several times in quick succession as he walked to the Caravan. Don't know if that could have caused it, but I asked her to not do it any more.

Quick Reply: Two fobs don't work, Caravan is dead