Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

98 Caravan starts rough, dies and won't start for a few hours

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 06:31 PM
minimom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Caravan starts rough, dies and won't start for a few hours

Hi All,

I am new here and have been reading all the great advice. My 98 Caravan has 268k miles on it and has been a delight. Recently, when the car is warm, I go to start it and it seems to have a rough start. If I blip the throttle I can save it from dying but if I don't catch it it stalls and I have to wait for a couple hours before it will start again like nothing ever happened. When it stalls there is no response from the key. Everything lights up normally but there is no sounds of any kind when I turn the key. Other than normal maintenance items the only repairs have been 3 transmissions, Alternator and fuel pump.

Since my last post we have replaced the Cam positioning sensor, the crank positioning sensor and the ignition switch. It still dies. I have been watching closely and I am convinced it is an electrical problem. There are never any codes because, as far as the engine is concerned, the car has been turned off. All of the gauges drop out and I coast with the key on in neutral to the side of the road. If I wait for awhile with the key on, I will see the gauges blip and start registering again. At this point, I can crank the car and it starts up as normal. I thought maybe the starter solenoid but that is only used for start-up. It doesn't make sense that that would shut the car off while I am driving.....then again....I'm no expert. Just a Mom who likes playing with cars. We have checked all the battery connections, alternator connections and ignition connections. Any ideas?

Last edited by minimom; 10-01-2013 at 08:27 PM.

Quick Reply: 98 Caravan starts rough, dies and won't start for a few hours