Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2004 Caravan Rusty Brake Drums

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 06:11 PM
TreadHead
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Caravan Rusty Brake Drums

I have a 2004 Dodge Caravan with just over 25k miles. Last winter (arounk 18k miles) I drove the van on a long trip while it was snowing out and the parking break stuck on the right rear wheel so severely that I had to gun the accelerator in both drive and reverse several times before it broke free.

I took it to the dealer and they told me that a pivot arm within the parking brake on that rear wheel had become rusted. They freed it up and applied some lubricant and gave it back to me.

The brake on that rear wheel has stuck a couple times since then, but nothing compared to the first time, you can just tap the gas and it will pop free.

Now, just last week at 25K miles, I drove my van to the airport in a heavy rain and it then sat there for a week WITHOUT the parking brake set. When I went to shift out of park into drive, the van did not move at first, but when i hit the gas there was that familiar "pop" of something breaking loose on the right rear wheel.

This time was also different in that now there was a horrible grinding noise coming from the right rear wheel whenever the brakes are applied (drum brakes).

I took it straight to the dealer and they informed me that there would be a $45 brake inspection charge if it was wear related, which we argued about, but in the end I was worried about the severe noise and wanted it looked at.

The diagnosis the dealer gave me was that the pads were still 50% in place, but that the drums on BOTH rear wheels are severely rusted and the brake pads are corroded. The recommended a $185 brake job, resurfacing the drums and replacing the pads and said it would not be covered under warranty because it was wear related and not defect related.

I have several questions:

1) Is it normal for brake drums/pads to become so severely rusted that they need to be replaced after 25k miles? I am quite familiar with having to resurface disc brake rotors around this time frame, but that is usually because of warping, not rust.

2) Is it right for brakes which are otherwise not "worn" to the point of needing repair to have rusted out parts considered "wear and tear"? Should the dealer be paying, given it is a chronic problem with the right rear (although they claim the left rear is rusty as well, it is not making any noise and does not stick with the parking brake)

3) Is this rusting out a chronic problem on Dodges? I have owned several other cars and never heard of anything remotely like this, even up to 100k miles. I certainly don't want to own a vehicle that has brake parts rusting out every 25k miles.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Old 10-04-2005, 11:45 PM
brandoncrone
Veteran
Default RE: 2004 Caravan Rusty Brake Drums

This may be late now, but there is a TSB on the minivans w/drum brakes. Water/snow ingestion causing the brakes to freeze up. Involves replacing the backing plates. Have it done, helps greatly.

Old 10-05-2005, 10:08 PM
gpzjack
Veteran

They would be hauling me away in a paddy wagon...LOL... Let me guess they are a five star dealer too....LOL Im sick of the brakes on these things. I have a 02 and had to put brakes all the way around the first year i had it and every year since. My neon went almos 50k before replacement. I love these vans but i am sick of the little problems and bad dealerships.

Old 10-07-2005, 12:30 AM
tenntech
Professional

There is a tsb related to this issue, like brandon already said, and this may still be covered under your 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. Pads and rotors are only covered for 1year/12,000 miles.

Quick Reply: 2004 Caravan Rusty Brake Drums