Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

CV Stub axle will not seat properly

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 07:51 PM
gareth676
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Stub axle will not seat properly

Hi Guys/Girls

2002 Grand Caravan Sport:

Cannot anyone proffer any advice on how I can get my new (PS) CV axle to go in properly - it stops about 1/4" from the seal face and no matter what I do it refuses to go any further! Have taken it out and rotated it a little loads of times but will not budge on that last 1/4". It feels like it has come up against some obstruction (very rigid) - can see a silver bar across the deepest part of the gearbox shaft (is that supposed to be there?!)

Spent 8 hours so far trying to get it in - any help or tips gratefully received.

Thanks

Gareth

Old 09-21-2013, 09:20 PM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From the service manual:
INSTALLATION
(1) Thoroughly clean spline and oil seal sealing surface, on tripod joint. Lightly lubricate oil seal sealing surface on tripod joint with fresh clean trans- mission lubricant.
(2) Holding half shaft assembly by tripod joint and interconnecting shaft, install tripod joint into trans- axle side gear as far as possible by hand (Fig. 8).
(3) Grasp inner tripod joint an interconnecting shaft. Forcefully push the tripod joint into side gear of transaxle, until snap-ring is engaged with trans- axle side gear. Test that snap-ring is fully engaged with side gear by attempting to remove tripod joint from transaxle by hand. If snap-ring is fully engaged with side gear, tripod joint will not be removable by hand.
(4) Clean all debris and moisture out of steering knuckle, in the area were outer CV joint will be installed into steering knuckle.
(5) Ensure that front of outer CV joint which fits against the face of the hub and bearing is free of debris and moisture before installing outer CV joint into hub and bearing assembly (Fig. 9).
(6) Slide half shaft back into front hub and bear- ing assembly.
CAUTION: The steering knuckle to strut assembly attaching bolts are serrated and must not be turned during installation. Install nuts while holding bolts stationary in the steering knuckle.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:39 PM
blknblu

Before you put it in, did you compare the old one vs the new?
Sometimes, they do not match, especially on the "new" ones made in China.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:40 PM
gareth676

Thanks for ideas guys - but have done all of this. New one did look a little different so went back to Autozone - but lengths correct just a longer and tapered second helical spline - anyway changed for reman unit that was identical to original (also tried to refit original) all results same - goes in and locks but comes up against something firm/rigid and will not go the last 1/4". C-Clip seems to lock as you have to pry it back out - cannot just pull on the tripod.

Any other offerings?

Gareth

Old 09-22-2013, 09:52 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

Originally Posted by gareth676
Thanks for ideas guys - but have done all of this. New one did look a little different so went back to Autozone - but lengths correct just a longer and tapered second helical spline - anyway changed for reman unit that was identical to original (also tried to refit original) all results same - goes in and locks but comes up against something firm/rigid and will not go the last 1/4". C-Clip seems to lock as you have to pry it back out - cannot just pull on the tripod.

Any other offerings?

Gareth

take a picture of it but I would imagine as you said that you pushed it in and locked. had to push it out with pry bar. so as previous instructions seems you have it in. how do you know or think it has to in the extra 1/4"? maybe that space for expansion? im not sure my sell since ive not tookin one apart but I think if you push it in and clicked and it does not come out easy and is flush with the surfaces should be fine.

like to see picture of its location.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:33 PM
gareth676

Thanks for your interest - here's a picture of the current situation - you can see the gap. It's not very much and I am up against something 'rock solid'. Was hoping one of the Master Techs on this site would be able to advise whether this is normal or does it HAVE to go up flush with the face? Especially as the end of the CV Tripod is not totally flat across the whole of its diameter.

Attached Thumbnails CV Stub axle will not seat properly-img_0586.jpg  
Old 09-23-2013, 05:23 PM
gareth676

OK - For completeness and for others attempting this job, the photo above shows the CV as far as it will go - put it all back together and it drives fine - no leaks or strange noises. Would have been helpful if they had made this clear in the manual - or perhaps if I had been more observant when taking off the old one. We live and learn!

Quick Reply: CV Stub axle will not seat properly