Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2001 Grand Caravan 3.3L Cooling Fans coming on when engine cold at times and warm,

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 08:29 PM
riverjamie
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 Grand Caravan 3.3L Cooling Fans coming on when engine cold at times and warm,

Temp gauge is in always in the middle or slightly below. Radiator full. No signs of coolant on the ground. I've been hearing a weird noise lately, finally today after driving the car a short distance 5 miles, when cold. I heard the noise again, got out and found it was the cooling fans coming on. Outside temp was 70F. Any thoughts?

Old 10-08-2013, 11:06 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

You may have a sticking relay. When it starts doing it again. Remove the battery cable for a short time and then put the cable back on. Does the fan come back on? If it doesn't locate the fan relay in the PDC and either replace it or swap it with another relay.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:01 PM
zero10
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having this on my 05. A/C off, sitting still, the fans will sometimes cycle on when the coolant temp is around 50-55*C and the upper rad hose is still very cold. No idea why, everything I have read indicates they should only come on when the radiator is nice and toasty, which it isn't, or when the A/C is on, which it wasn't (the vent selector was not in any of the defrost positions and the A/C button was off, turning interior fan speeds to 0 has no effect)

Old 10-09-2013, 05:59 PM
riverjamie
Professional
Default Okay found the relay, behind front grill near driver side headlight but can't??

Zero10, yes mine acts the same way with AC off also. I purchased a new one from Napa Auto AR6029 $65.

Found the cooling fan relay on the the front frame, in front of the radiator and transmission cooler. It's to the the left of the drives side headlight assy, so no need to remove headlight assy. But will have to move all the front plastic grill in front of it. It's riveted to the frame?

So if you look at the picture there's a red tab, then to the right of it a black tab that can be pushed down. Finally figured out that if you push down on black tab and at the same time move the red tab to the right it can be very hard to move, I used a small pair of square nose pliers) as far as it will go, then the connector will unlock so it can be removed.

Also the relay is fastened to the frame with a big rivet. Just spoke to Dodge the rivet on my car is a .250 x .660 Part number is 6036306AA $5.85.

Not sure if this relay is really the problem ,but at least I know where it located and how to remove the connector.

Thanks
2001 Grand Caravan 3.3L Cooling Fans coming on when engine cold at times and warm,-img_6432.jpg

Last edited by riverjamie; 10-09-2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: update on rivet part number and size.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:26 AM
riverjamie
Professional
Default Update on problem with cooling fans coming on when engine cold

Just drove the car this morning cold, no defroster on or AC, engine cold. Drove four miles, Cooling Fans came on. Temp gauge never got above mid range. Stopped car, shut off. Went in store for just 5 minutes. Came out started car, fans were off and never came on. While going back home 4 miles. No coolant leaks? So not sure what to make of this. Is it the water pump not moving causing the temp sensor to sensor an over heat condition? But the gauge (Needle type, not idot light) never shows an over heat condition on the gauge. Is it the Cooling fan relay? I do have the relay, but don't want to remove the rivet and old relay if that's not the problem. Does anyone know what the readings should be on the relay connector wires? There's four, two large probably for the fans, and two small which probably are the control (input) for the relay to turn it on/off.

Thanks

Old 10-11-2013, 10:22 PM
vipergg
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this may be normal but I don't know why, our 2007 has done this same thing since new. Car not even warmed up and the fans come on without the AC/defrost on .

Quick Reply: 2001 Grand Caravan 3.3L Cooling Fans coming on when engine cold at times and warm,