Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

just purchased a 2008 DGCV

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 09:30 AM
ebxgsxr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just purchased a 2008 DGCV

Well, we put a deposit down on the van & we should pick it up on Saturday. It was in really good shape & would have passed the state's safety inspection except for a picky state inspector failed it for a couple minor things (sticker on the windshield & wipers which weren't bad) and a supposedly leaking power steering pressure hose. I am purchasing the van from the original owner & it has about 102,000 miles on it. I thought the power steering hose wouldn't be that big of a deal (since I work at a auto parts store). But it looks like it is not made after market yet. So I will have to give the dealer a call on Monday to see what that is going to run me. Does anyone have any other suggestions on where I can try to look for this hose?

I have one question about the transmission problems with these vehicles. I am coming over from the Ram side, where the 94-01 Ram trucks were notorious for their transmission problems. My current Ram 2500 is getting a new tranny put in this coming weekend. The company that rebuilt the tranny for my Ram addressed the issue on what causes the failures. But they said that I should also install a transmission cooler to help with cooling the fluid. Has anyone installed a transmission cooler on their DGCV? I'm just wondering if it would help.

The last thing I was curious about was the factory remote starts on these vans. Are they easy to add? I would prefer not to have a separate remote for an aftermarket remote start (especially if I could just get new key/remotes that have the button for the remote start).

Old 10-16-2013, 01:33 AM
ebxgsxr
Professional

no input from anyone?

Old 10-16-2013, 05:23 PM
georgef
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ebxgsxr
no input from anyone?
You are more likely to get a response if you include which engine and transmission you have.

As to a transmission cooler question, all the 2008 and up Caravans have transmission coolers as standard equipment.

I bought the power steering hose from an online parts dealer two years ago for $54.00 plus shipping.

As to the factory remote start, the rumor is that the remote start kit is no longer available for the 2008 vans, if you can find one somewhere it requires dealer programming to function. There are several aftermarket remote starters that can use your current key FOB, such as pressing "lock" three times to start.

George

Old 10-16-2013, 09:44 PM
ebxgsxr
Professional

guess that would help, lo. it's a 2008 DGCV SXT with a 3.8L.

Thanks for the info on the tranny cooler. At least that saves me some money.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:17 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Okay the 3.8 may still have the 41TE transmission. But it could also have the 62TE transmission. The power steering hose is easy to replace. Just make sure all the brackets are bolted down. If you do have the 41TE transmission. It has gotten better. And yes I have installed cooler. It would be a good investment.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:01 AM
kallsop
Rookie

I added an external cooler and filter (full flow spin on) to our '99 GC 3.3L 41TE, and traded the van at 220K miles, still shifted like new. Added an external cooler and filter (magnefine) to our '08 T&C 3.3L 41TES, now at 60K miles. It just seems like a good idea with the 41TE(S) to take extra precautions. The '08 T&C 3.3L 41TES combo is absolutely awful, because the torque lockup falls out too easily. All the unnecessary "shifts" are not good for AT longevity or my blood pressure. Chrysler really screwed up the tranny software on this one. Hopefully the 3.8 is a lot better.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:35 AM
ebxgsxr
Professional

hmm, i wonder which tranny is in mine. is there any free site that I can request a build sheet on my van?

Old 10-17-2013, 10:25 PM
georgef
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hmm, i wonder which tranny is in mine.
Easiest way to tell is to use the Electronic Range Select (ERS) by moving the lever - / + while in the DRIVE position, the instrument cluster will display gear selection as 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 for six-speed, and 4, 3, 2, 1 for four-speed transaxles.

Another way to tell is the 4 speed has a dipstick, the 6 speed doesn't.

...is there any free site that I can request a build sheet on my van?
You can request a build sheet by using Dodge's "Email Dodge" web form located here: http://dodge.com/dodgecares. The build sheet will include all the sales codes that pertain to your vehicle.

Fill in the required fields, in the "Subject" field as well as the "Description" field, type: "Please send the Factory build sheet for my 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT" or words to that effect, then submit the form. In a short time you will receive an email acknowledging your request.

When I requested my build sheet I received it via email the next day.

George

Old 10-20-2013, 08:08 AM
ebxgsxr
Professional

well, i got my build sheet reply. looks like my van has the 62TE transmission. so these already have coolers? is it a waste/overkill to have an aftermarket one installed?

Last edited by ebxgsxr; 10-20-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:31 PM
ebxgsxr
Professional

oh yeah. just ordered a bunch of stuff for the van. ordered the weather tech floor liners, window visors & a bug deflector. also ordered my tint. i'm excited that it's all i have to do to get it wear i want. it has everything else like the TV's & back up camera ,lol.

can anyone advise if installing an aftermarket tranny cooler is a waste/overkill since I have the 62TE tranny?

Quick Reply: just purchased a 2008 DGCV