Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

96 dodge grand caravan became a gas guzzler?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 05:47 PM
benz0117
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The check engine light is off. I had it on full tank and only drove it 10 miles. Car took half the tank. My temp gauge takes a long time to go to middle. It stays in the bottom for awhile.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:23 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You've got to be kidding. That's around 1 mile to the gallon. At that rate you should be getting fuel trim and cat codes galore and leaving a trail of raw fuel out the tailpipe. You have to be smelling raw fuel. Your injectors have to be spraying constantly. I'm amazed it's even running. All I can say is get it to a shop and have them check fuel trims with a diagnostic scanner.

If you're in that deep freeze in the Midwest or South that could explain your slow to rise temp gauge. If it turns out to be an actual malfunction meaning the engine is slow to warm you may have a cooling system thermostat stuck open. That would also mean your cabin heat would be slow to come up to temp. The engine coolant temp sensor sensor (ECT) tells the PCM to inject more fuel when the engine is cold. That could keep the engine running richer than normal and kill your mpgs. I can see that cutting into your mileage but not as bad as you're seeing. Keep us in the loop.

Last edited by Cougar41; 01-30-2014 at 06:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 96 dodge grand caravan became a gas guzzler?