Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Replacing brakes and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 12:49 PM
pannyman28golf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing brakes and rotors

Do u suggest brakes and rotors for grand caravan
And what kind

Old 02-27-2014, 02:36 PM
1wraith
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Powerstop cross drilled and slotted rotors with Hawk ceramic pads. Still noisy due to the cross drilled and slotted rotors. I've put these rotors on the last 4 out of 5 cars. Skipped the STi cause it came with 4 piston Brembo's in front and 2 piston in the rear. Each set lasted about 60K mi. Can't say enough good things about Powerstop rotors and Hawk pads.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:45 PM
2therock
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heh! One of the reasons this forum is so ugly now is because folks don't put the year model in the title.

So going Grand Caravans in general, if you are not hard on brakes, have never heated them up to the point they make your brake pedal pulsate under you foot, get more than 20k miles, your best bet is factory pads and most likely have the rotors resurfaced if not replaced. (Most of the time it is material transfer onto the rotors, not warping).

If you are hard on the brakes and make them what most call "Warp" and get under 20k miles if you do not warp them, the suggestion by 1Wraith is a good one.

You may want consider non-drilled or slotted so you can have them turned again. Be it I have drilled rotors my next replacements will be plain but the same brand quality rotors.

I just posted a report on how my setup holds up under constant hard braking boarding abuse.

Good Luck

Old 03-01-2014, 03:30 PM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I avoid drilled and slotted rotors because they fail more quickly and the bling cost extra. Any time you remove metal from a conventional factory spec rotor thru drilling or slotting it's life will be reduced. Serious track road racers know this.

The best approach for Grand Caravan involves buying a premium standard rotor with good metallurgy and select a good severe duty semi-metallic pad with lifetime warranty. The Bendix rotors are about $20 each and they wear excellent. Lifetime semimetallic pads are sold at most local parts stores like Autozone.

Quick Reply: Replacing brakes and rotors