Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan PCM

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 10:29 AM
maverick.bro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone please help.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:16 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I know is some can install junkyard PCMs without programming them and be on their merry way while others install them and have major problems, the most common of which is a security system programming mismatch between the BCM and the "new" PCM causing a start and immediate stall. That's the key. Both have to be programmed either with the security software or without it. The engine immobilizer portion of the security system kills the engine thinking the van is being stolen.

A PCM from a remanufacturer website is supposed to eliminate that possibility because they reprogram the PCM based on your VIN# which tells them if you have a security system or not. If that's the route you took and you're having problems then you have to take it up with the company you bought it from.

Recommend you take the most important info from your previous forum and this forum and consolidate it into one single post. Spitting out post after post is only confusing the issue.

Last edited by Cougar41; 01-03-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:02 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Here is the straight answer, If you repaired the injector wire or replaced the harness and the shorted wires cause the drivers in the Powertrain Control module (PCM) fried the controller. Then you replace the PCM with a Reman or a new controller. Not a Junkyard controller. As what Cougar had stated. The Vin number has be add to the controller and country. Has well as mileage. The dealer is correct, you can not reprogram the old controller, if you have damage drivers. You can only reprogram old controllers for current updates and only if there isn't any damage drivers.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:01 PM
maverick.bro

Ok thanks for the help guys! I will check the harness and post and update.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:34 PM
maverick.bro

So I took off the plenum, and I took off part of the harness(the part that has the 6 injector plugs). You can tell my lack of shock when I discovered some melted and exposed wires!

Could this be my problem? DUH!

The other half of it has this silver looking thermal wrap around it but its very brittle and crunchy. How should I go about fixing this? I heard something about an actual connector being melted on some cases but I am not sure about this. I will continue my visual inspection while I wait for your replies.

[img=http://s21.postimg.org/969xzkatf/IMG_20140104_152337_136.jpg]
Thanks in advance!

Old 02-03-2014, 09:36 PM
Van girl

Originally Posted by maverick.bro
So I took off the plenum, and I took off part of the harness(the part that has the 6 injector plugs). You can tell my lack of shock when I discovered some melted and exposed wires! Could this be my problem? DUH! The other half of it has this silver looking thermal wrap around it but its very brittle and crunchy. How should I go about fixing this? I heard something about an actual connector being melted on some cases but I am not sure about this. I will continue my visual inspection while I wait for your replies. Thanks in advance!
I had that problem and I taped each bare wire with electrical tape, then wrapped it all up with silver duct tape to keep the heat out. Got a junkyard PCM and had it flashed in my 02 dodge van, had to change the map sensor also got fried, now runs fine!

Old 02-04-2014, 02:09 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of good info about that wire harness including pics in this book of a thread: http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...wn-and-Country

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan PCM