Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: TPMS Sensors - General Information

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 05:46 PM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by georgef
That is the Schrader's Ez-Sensor catalog you're looking in. Schrader's full catalog lists the #28434 sensor for the 2008 Grand Caravan (see page 26):
http://www.schraderinternational.com/~/media/Schrader/Files/Document Library PDFs/North America /Schrader TPMS 2013_Catalog_11-13-12.ashx

George

Big Thanks, George. I see the Schrader 28434 does indeed cross to my factory part#. Too bad Schrader doesn't widely publish this cross reference information or provide it to the aftermarket. All the popular automotive stores have it wrong, as does rockauto.

Anyway, I installed the metal stem $25 Dorman 974-061 unit and it worked great. The low pressure alarm reset as I pumped up the tires, no delay whatsoever. The stem looks to be chrome and of better quality than the original flat aluminum color siemens unit, but time will tell. I put heavy duty foam trim tape on the back of the dorman electronic module to hold it flat against the rim prior to torqueing it together at 35 inch pounds. It looks strong and good as factory.

I think I will change my other 3 sensors next time I replace my tires. My local NTB tire store charges $9 to remove a tire and $12 to install and balance it later. This means you can take a bare rim home and do the work yourself for $21 instead of the normal $17 cash and carry price for tire dismount/mount/balance labor. For just $4 extra for each corner, you can replace the sensors yourself. I also noticed my rim had some corrosion under the paint where the tire seats. I scraped that off and polished the rim seating surface with a hand brass wire brush. This should further reduce the chance of leaks.

I bought a bag of the chrome plastic tpms caps off ebay with red seal in the end and they are quite nice. Cost is about 10 cents each if you buy 100 lol.

Last edited by Lscman; 02-08-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:31 AM
kallsop
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a stem break recently on my '08 T&C while removing the cap. The cap was not seized on, with only mild torque the stem snapped in two. The stem metal appears to be cheap pot metal? Anyway, bought 4 of the Schrader 28434 and fitted them myself. Only had an issue with one of the four, air was leaking around the stem and had to yank on the stem some more until it sealed better. If you do the job yourself, buy one of those 4 way tire core tools and first pull the stem through the rim, then attach the tool to the cap thread, then I used an adjustable wrench hooked under the tool arms and levered against the rim. You'll see if you do it, it's obvious what to do. Put a dab of washing up liquid or similar on the stem base to help ease it's way into the rim.

Took the van for a drive, and within 10 minutes, the TPMS light went out on the dash. I am very impressed with the 28434's, the stems won't fall apart like the Siemens originals did.

My wife's car doesn't have TPMS and I am thinking of adding the Schrader SCH-WRK-4PC / 20257 retrofit kit, though I wish the display looked more like the one in the Orange P409S kit where all 4 pressures are displayed at once.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:36 PM
Lscman
Veteran

Originally Posted by kallsop
...My wife's car doesn't have TPMS and I am thinking of adding the Schrader SCH-WRK-4PC / 20257 retrofit kit, though I wish the display looked more like the one in the Orange P409S kit where all 4 pressures are displayed at once.
Yikes...install a TPMS kit on a vehicle that has no TPMS? The idiot gadgets the federal government pushes (like backup cameras and automatic braking) don't interest me at all.

In 35+ years of driving and maintaining family cars, I never had a problem routinely checking and topping off air pressure on once every couple months. I don't wait for the TPMS alarm. People with leaks use the TPMS instead of getting their tire fixed and that is dangerous. By the time air pressure drops and hits the trigger value, the tire sidewall is visibly bulged to a trained eye (low). Anyway, it's too easy to check tires every other gas station visit with a precision gauge while I'm filling the gas tank the other times I'm checking my dipstick on other gas fill-up while other people wait for the low oil alarm.

However that's just me. I warned my daughter not to trust idiot lights. A friend of mine destroyed his motor when the idiot light malfunctioned and he failed to check the oil.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:01 PM
Lscman
Veteran

I would like to add some more info to this thread.

User Montreal300 just posted that seasonal summer & winter wheels can be swapped twice per year without any reprogramming. This would hold true if you are using (OE or equivalent) TPMS Sensors.

I believe this rule will apply to all 2008 and up Grand Caravan 5th generation because they all use 433mhz system with TPMS intelligence & learning features managed by the WIN module.

Some folks may have issues, but I believe it will be due to an independent shop previously installing "universal" TPMS sensors during tire repair or replacement service. These bastard sensors need programmed with a tool. They don't get programmed by the vehicle. Some tire shops prefer universal TPMS sensors because the customer can be held hostage and they can stock fewer TPMS sensors.

Last edited by Lscman; 03-23-2014 at 12:40 PM.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: TPMS Sensors - General Information