Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 01 Grand Caravan 143k transmission pan and other cover behind it.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 08:43 AM
riverjamie
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 01 Grand Caravan 143k transmission pan and other cover behind it.

I have a 2001 GC with 3.3L 143k. Last Sept I did a ATF and filter change. Let everything drain at least one day or more. Then removed all the old Black RTV Gasket material cleaned surfaces with brake clean. Applied new Permatex Ultra Black Gasket Maker. Now it looks like it might be leaking again? But there's also another large cover pan behind it on the side of the transmission facing the drivers side tire, and looks to use the same Black RTV as the gasket. It looks to be leaking out of the bottom. So I'm going to clean things up first with some Gunk then dry off and then check to see where the leaks are really forming.

My questions are: Is there a better sealant to use for these covers? What do the transmission shops use?

It also looks like on the back of the transmission there's another small plate that faces the rear of the car that might also be leaking.

Last I think the transmission pan bolts are torqued to 165inlb? What about the other cover plate behind it and the one in the rear?

Any thoughts? Thanks

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 01 Grand Caravan 143k transmission pan and other cover behind it.