Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: Rear spark plug replacement with big arms

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 09:40 PM
tjnc
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear spark plug replacement V6

Is there a method besides removing the alternator and wiper tray to change back plugs on a V6 caravan? Do shops really have to go through all this to do it?

Last edited by tjnc; 03-17-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:36 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I lift it on a hoist and go up the back side. Still a pain but not as big a pain as pulling the plenum.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:35 PM
spankyd

I remove the rain crowel and wipers to get to the rear plugs

Old 03-19-2014, 09:12 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

how does that help? You still can't get around the plenum.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:05 PM
tjnc
Professional

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
how does that help? You still can't get around the plenum.
Every person I've seen do them either goes from the bottom on a lift, or removes wiper tray and alternator and goes from the sides. I actually have long arms and still couldn't get to them from the bottom on a lift under my 98 SE because it's only like 3" spacing.. Kind of a headache..

Old 03-19-2014, 04:16 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

yep, and if it has rear AC, even a bigger pain, makes #1 almost impossible.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:17 PM
muenchau

I tried this one time and gave up. Then, when I had a misfire, I thought that the rear plugs might be worn out. I went under the vehicle and there was no way to do it from the bottom. I decided that the only way was to remove the plenum. I removed the hood and the wiper tray. The plenum was not easy, but once done, the plugs were right there and the swap out was easy. BTW, when I put the OBD scanner on the car, the misfire was #6, which is a front spark plug which I had replaced earlier. It was a bad plug wire. Replaced all wires after 19 years of use. 1996 Grand Caravan 3.8L 226K miles. I'm the original owner. Still runs like new!

Old 02-24-2015, 02:47 PM
tjnc
Professional

Originally Posted by muenchau
I tried this one time and gave up. Then, when I had a misfire, I thought that the rear plugs might be worn out. I went under the vehicle and there was no way to do it from the bottom. I decided that the only way was to remove the plenum. I removed the hood and the wiper tray. The plenum was not easy, but once done, the plugs were right there and the swap out was easy. BTW, when I put the OBD scanner on the car, the misfire was #6, which is a front spark plug which I had replaced earlier. It was a bad plug wire. Replaced all wires after 19 years of use. 1996 Grand Caravan 3.8L 226K miles. I'm the original owner. Still runs like new!
Get started early in the morning on a sunny day and take the whole wiper tray off.. The back three are crazy but it can be done. You have to slide the alternator forward for the back-left one. Those telescoping parts-house mirrors will help but I didn't use one.

I've heard of people changing them from under, from the back.. I've tried that when I had access to a lift. I physically couldn't even get fingers up in there..

I've only done 3rd and 4th gen.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:06 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

96 3.8 ltr LE. I change middle and driver's side from the bottom and passenger side from top but have to rotate alternator forward. Takes 30 minutes up on jack stands and I use nothing but a ratchet, extension and plug socket.

Apparently can be done from above but removing the wiper tray and/or plenum adds work and presents possibilities of snapping or spinning a bolt or breaking something else.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:49 PM
tjnc
Professional

Originally Posted by Cougar41
96 3.8 ltr LE. I change middle and driver's side from the bottom and passenger side from top but have to rotate alternator forward. Takes 30 minutes up on jack stands and I use nothing but a ratchet, extension and plug socket.

Apparently can be done from above but removing the wiper tray and/or plenum adds work and presents possibilities of snapping or spinning a bolt or breaking something else.
It's physically impossible to do it from the bottom in my experience, if fingers won't bend and fit neither will an arm with socket and extension. The same problem occurs from top with wiper tray on.

I've seen them done in shops too by experienced techs, all removed wiper tray.

There is probably like 1 3/4 inches of gap on the back from the bottom.. There is also a tray under the head from the bottom.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: Rear spark plug replacement with big arms