Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Anybody else have a picky starter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 06:55 PM
shadwell1020
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody else have a picky starter?

This is a question for all Grand Caravan owners of 2008+ models, and in particular 2011-2014. Are your vans "picky" about being started? I know this is kind of dumb; most people just stick the key fob into the ignition and turn it without much thought, but our van seems to be very picky about it.

We have to put the key fob in, turn the key fob until the lights come on; wait until you can hear the fuel pump turn off and THEN start it...otherwise it doesn't start properly. If you just "put the key in and immediately start it" it will turn over and turn over and turn over and NOT start.

Even if you just wait for the dash lights and start it, it will crank longer than it should.

Anybody else notice this? Thanks!

Old 03-30-2014, 08:51 PM
shadwell1020
Rookie

FYI-We have taken it to the dealership, which is "working on a fix" and "talking with an engineer to fix the problem". I'm wondering if it has something to do with the engine, sometimes I feel a slight shudder under my seat when it's idling.

Either that or we're morons and everything is fine. haha.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:17 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No, it should not crank and crank and crank. something is wrong with your van. If the dealer verified it is not right and working on the fix, let them do their job.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:20 AM
shadwell1020
Rookie

Well, it's intermittent and is closely related to the way you start it...so we figured maybe it's just user error, but I don't think it should be that picky about being started. We're going to drop it off at the dealership today (we got a free rental). They said it might take a couple days to figure out the problem.

Hopefully they're smart enough to give us a GC rental...we'll show up and it will be a little Dart with 3 kids.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:43 PM
shadwell1020
Rookie

We went to drop the van off today, and while it was in reverse the tranny slipped! And it wasn't even on a hill or slight incline...and I wasn't even giving it gas. It will always shudder backing up a hill...but I've noticed this slight slip in reverse occasionally. Then I got out, and I smelt burnt rubber!!!

I feel like we got a little bit of a lemon or something...or do you think I'm being too paranoid?? Am I trying to find problems? My fiancé says she "doesn't notice any of this, I'm just being to picky".

I don't know; I smell burnt rubber every so often. Once and while the transmission slips a bit in reverse. Normal? If it isn't I'll call the dealership tomorrow and explain it while it's there.

They gave us a 2014 Jeep Compass as a rental...seems so much cheaper than the van.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:59 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The shudder in reverse has been around for this minivan. It appears to be normal on that trans, and it is very noticeable reverse uphill. Just search around the forum.

Also, if your dealer was unable to duplicate the problem, I think you should record it with you phone just to proof your problem actually exist.

If you are loosing sleep over the van, I think you should consider getting a Chrysler Max Care extended warranty, possibly a Lifetime warranty. I know it could be expensive, but it will be well worth the money if you plan to keep the van.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:04 PM
shadwell1020
Rookie

Got a call from the dealership today...Evidently it's got a bad fuel pump. They said the fuel pumps are on back order so it will be awhile...

Is this a common issue? Hopefully this IS the problem...I would think a faulty fuel pump would cause more issues than intermittently cranking too long.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:07 PM
shadwell1020
Rookie

And we do have the extended warranty...the Lifetime one, which is why we have a free rental. (thankfully)

Old 04-01-2014, 04:28 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shadwell1020
Got a call from the dealership today...Evidently it's got a bad fuel pump. They said the fuel pumps are on back order so it will be awhile...

Is this a common issue? Hopefully this IS the problem...I would think a faulty fuel pump would cause more issues than intermittently cranking too long.
Cause more issues? Not necessarily. The fuel pump assembly includes the fuel pressure regulator. These often leak and deplete the pressure normally maintained on the system when the engine is off. Starting when the pressure is down can take a while because the pump has to build that pressure back up. Once the van is running the pump maintains the pressure. Turn the engine off and the pressure bleeds off through the leaking regulator. This is all assuming there was no visible external leak or leaking fuel injector that can result in the same symptoms.

Common? Specific to these vans I can't say but in general fuel pumps fail regularly on any vehicle. The fact they are back ordered can indicate a common problem but it could be just as likely the pump manufacturer had some sort of local unrelated issue such as a strike or transportation stoppage. Can only guess without more info.

Last edited by Cougar41; 04-01-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:55 PM
shadwell1020
Rookie

This is all assuming there was no visible external leak or leaking fuel injector that can result in the same symptoms.
Would a bad fuel pump or leaking injector cause the van to have a slight shudder (maybe missfire?) at idle? It's not very noticeable at all; just a very faint shudder under your seat. I'm hoping that the dealership is 110% sure it was the fuel pump and not something else...

What irks me is that SOMEONE else must have noticed the van didn't start right, I mean it must have started this way at the factory..when it rolled off the truck...inbetween dealerships, I mean when they cleaned it before we took delivery...There was various people who had to start the van up.

It was like this from day 1, so the pump must have been defective before it even got installed into the van at the factory.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Anybody else have a picky starter?