Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: p0205 HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 03:33 PM
TXPower03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p0205 HELP!

I searched and read and found a lot of information but haven't solved this problem yet. My mom's 2003 DC with 3.3 flex fuel started running terrible the other day sputtering, hesitating, missing. My dad, an old school mechanic is pretty smart and knows some about electronic controls has been trying to work thru the code it's throwing, p0205, which from my searches here is a #5 injector code.

First, my dad said he has been told conflicting information on which cylinder is #5 and that because it's a crossflow plenum the number #5 injector and cylinder are not the same??? Makes no sense to me but hey, I'm learning on this one too. So first, could someone please tell me, in simple terms, which cylinder and injector are #5.

Next, he traced the wires from the injectors/rail and found the injector sub-harness was fried, he went to the stealership and bought a new one and replaced it thinking this was it. Engine still presents with the problems mentioned above and still getting code even after he cleared them.

He checked the injector for impedance and its was within spec and he checked with a node (sp?) tester also and supposedly it was within spec.

Can anyone provide more advice or stones yet left unturned? Or, perhaps, is the something subtle he missed when checking the components I mentioned he already checked. Last time this van had a problem he took it to a local, supposedly reputable, shop that kept changing parts and calling every other day saying they hadn't fixed it yet. When they got to 0ver 700 bucks he went and got it. Brought it home, went and bought an OBDII and figured out himself it was the MAF sensor.

Anyway, please help me help my dad if you can.

Thanks,

TXPower03

Old 03-31-2014, 06:12 PM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One very common problem for this model year is a melted injector wiring harness. In order to check this you will need to lift the Power Steering reservoir in order to get access to the section of harness running under it. Then remove the outer covering of the harness and inspect each wire individually for melted insulation.
The bolt holding the bottom of the PS res isn't visible. It's on the lower back side of the res, but you can see where it's located on the front side. Take a 10mm socket attached to 9-12" of socket extension and snake it from the firewall, past the coil wires, into the lower back side of the reservoir. Twist it slowly, and it won't take too long to find the bolt head with the socket. Then attach a ratchet and just loosen that bolt - no need to remove it. Remove the other 2 bolts on top, and the res can be lifted high enough to gain access to the wiring harness.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:22 PM
TXPower03

cv2003, as I mentioned in my post my dad already changed the injector wiring harness. So on your recommendation to follow the wires down and around the power steering is that more wiring harness outside of what he's already replaced?

Thx,

TXPower03

Old 03-31-2014, 09:25 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like you've already changed the suspect harness CV was referring to correct? The usual next step is to change the PCM. That said, you at least imply you got the expected blinking light when you connected a noid light to the #5 injector connector correct. That says you're getting the required pulse from the PCM. Only thing I can suggest is to swap the injector with another cylinder. Injectors can test fine all day long but be bad in the end. Injector, wire harness and PCM. Not much to it.

Which is #5? Can't say for sure on a 3.8 from 03 but I can say for sure it's either the left or right rear cylinder.

Last edited by Cougar41; 03-31-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:21 PM
TXPower03

I had my dad check again with the noid, when he connected the noid to number 5 he did not get the blinking light. It stayed on steady. This indicates a faulty injector circuit, correct? He has check continuity of all wires between PCM and injector, all checked out good. The injector when he checked it was within spec for impedance. He also switched the injector with a new one he bought. We suspect the PCM is bad. Thoughts?

Thx,

TXPower03

Last edited by TXPower03; 03-31-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:02 PM
cv2003
Veteran

Sorry, I missed what you wrote on replacing the harness in your OP. A common side effect of the melted harness is the PCM frying. So that's where this is probably going next, as Cougar and you have already said.
A number of guys on these forums have had good luck getting a PCM from the online auto computer outfits. They're typically $200 or less, including programming to your VIN. Some folks have also had success at the bone yards, but it's hit or miss without the programming.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:58 AM
TXPower03

Can someone point me toward the online suppliers of PCM's mentioned by cv2003? Local national chain auto parts stores want 300 plus.

Thx,

TXPower03

Old 04-01-2014, 09:15 AM
cv2003
Veteran

First a disclaimer that I haven't bought from one of these outfits myself. But I'm relying on multiple positive feedback from the Dodge forums, where no one has posted having had an unresolved problem with one of these reman units that were programmed to their vin. So that said, here's one that's been posted previously.
http://store.allcomputerresources.com/docapcmecmec.html

Old 04-01-2014, 04:46 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto on the disclaimer. Here's another:https://www.autocomputerexchange.com/

Check and make sure you find a source with a lifetime warranty. Many offer them. Things do go wrong in these exchanges

Old 04-01-2014, 07:17 PM
TXPower03

CV and Cougar, thanks!

TXPower03

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: p0205 HELP!