Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 2001 Dodge Caravan intermediate parking brake cable replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014 | 10:35 PM
Htro Mada
|
Amateur
Default 2001 Dodge Caravan intermediate parking brake cable replacement

I have a 2001 Dodge Caravan, 3.3 liters, discs in front, drums in back. I am in the process of replacing its parking brake cables, thanks to the salt used on Massachusetts roads in the winter and the need to get a safety sticker from said state. My current concern is the intermediate cable, which runs from the driver's side of the van to the passenger side, where it connects to the parking brake cable for the rear passenger-side wheel. The intermediate cable is sandwiched between my gas tank and the underside of the van. It seems to me I have to loosen the bolts that hold the gas tank so that I can get enough slack to both remove the old cable and properly install the new one. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I apologize if this has been answered somewhere else, but I couldn't find it anywhere. By the way, I do have a Hanes manual and it says nothing about messing with the tank, but then it didn't have the correct information for dealing with the parking brake release lever and the front parking brake cable, so clearly I am in murky waters here.

Old 04-02-2014 | 09:21 AM
Htro Mada
|
Amateur

OK, that's what I was afraid of. So, anything I should be concerned about when I drop the tank about an inch, besides getting it as empty as I can, depressurizing the system and supporting the tank?

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 2001 Dodge Caravan intermediate parking brake cable replacement