Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: Caravan Electrical Problem - looking for a workaround...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 01:38 PM
vsrini31
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caravan Electrical Problem - looking for a workaround...

I have a question regarding my 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan. First some background - I have been having electrical issues with it for the past year, with the headlights staying on and sometimes flashing with the relay switches clicking even after turning the ignition off. I did extensive research on the web, and while it it not conclusive, I believe I may have a faulty Body Control Module. Given how expensive it is to replace, I figured a workaround by taking the IOD fuse off permanently, I was able to keep the battery from draining as the entire electrical system shuts down roughly 90-sec after turning the ignition off with the IOD fuse removed.

This was working out perfectly until recently when I put in a new stereo system (my old one stopped working and I did not other to replace it until recently), which requires a permanent 12v connection to keep the memory settings, and because the yellow wire from the stereo system is connected to battery using the wiring harness, but that also goes dead after 90-sec, and hence my memory settings were not retained. Then I ran a line directly from the battery terminal, bypassing the fuse box, but with it's own separate fuse to the stereo for permanent connection to the battery. This took care of the stereo problem and my stations and bluetooth settings are all preserved. However this introduced a different problem, wherein my electrical system no longer shuts down after turning off ignition and with the IOD fuse removed. Can you please help how I can overcome this problem - where I want the electrical to go completely dark like it did before, but just keep the direclt line from battery continuing to energize my stereo so I do not lose my settings on the stereo? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:54 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Did you check with dealer on a reman BCM or with the wrecking yard with the same part number has yours?

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: Caravan Electrical Problem - looking for a workaround...