Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[General]: need help 1998 caravan stall/computer

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 01:06 AM
Suess20
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help 1998 caravan stall/computer

my 1998 Dodge Caravan has been having a lot of problems. It started when coming to a stop or slowing down to take left turnss, it would blog down, &stall (I noticed the lights would dim as well), and then immediately restart just fine. While driving down the highway the. RPM's would Spike and then go back to normal almost instantly; including the speedometer. Then it just went Put put put put and died (after going over a wash board road). Nothing works on it when you turn the key absolutely positively nothing. I did run the obd2 codes when out started stalling , it came up with a transmission plug that was not plugged into where the engine is at. I believe this is the camshaft sensor.I ordered a new computer, and had it flashed to my VIN number. It started at three times just fine, drove 5 miles, then again the putt putt putt putt, and instantly died . Again it wouldn't start there's absolutely completely no anything or turnover whatsoever. I did have a new transmission put in it about 2 years ago. That's when that check engine light came on. I also had a new fuel pump installed. I'm wondering if the plugs for the coil & the plug for the camshaft sensor could be switched? Obviously, something is causing this computer to go out. But I have read this issue on several other threads. Can someone please give me a definitive answer, or at least a lead on where to go??? I would be sincerely grateful! This caravan has a 2.4 engine in it. the mechanic that put in the transmission, knew about the check engine light, I asked 7 different times to turn it off. He obviously probably knew that he didn't put it in properly with that plug, is so there's that. He also put in a fuel pump, and left me on the side of the road 3 different times, with 3 different fuel lines leaking $60 of gas all over the road. I had to put a new fuel pump in myself, because he broke a 8 teeth off of the one that he installed.One of the fuel lines still had the blue safety tab on it. he said I must be the one messing with the fuel lines, because that's what I always do in my spare time? So taking it to a mechanic, is not an option I wish to explore... I'm sure there are great mechanics out there, but out of the 3 I've tried, they weren't them...thank you

Old 05-30-2014, 07:00 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Starter still not rotating or even clicking? Remove the starter relay in the PDC and jump contacts 30 and 87 on the relay socket. If the starter spins right away you proved the starter and half the start circuit is good.

When it was running and would stall was it stalling only when your foot was off the gas? Points to the Idle Air Control (IAC) circuit.

If it's stalling with gas applied I would look towards the cam/crank sensors.

Quick Reply: [General]: need help 1998 caravan stall/computer