Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 2006 Grand Caravan won't start... Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 03:58 PM
yebelgirl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2006 Grand Caravan won't start... Please Help

I have a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT with a 3.8L V6. I first started to have problems with it running a rough idle and running at a high rpm when driving like it had a manual choke engaged then I would goose the accelerator to get it to drop back down for a little bit, then it would go back up again. At first the check engine light was not on, but I took it to one of the auto parts stores that will hook up the computer to your car, to see if it was throwing any codes and he said the only thing it said was there was an old code in there that said the #6 cylinder had miss fired. Then we left there and it was still doing the same thing and then the check engine light came on, then it started to loose power on me (no where to stop at this point) and I was having to go slower and slower until we finally stalled out, as luck would have it, in front of a auto parts store. My husband took out the air filter, which, I am embarrassed to say, was filled with dirt from our dirt roads, because he took the wheel well cover off a little while back to replace the windshield washer pump and broke some of the clips so it never got put back on. He did the best he could to get the whole assembly cleaned out and I went in to get a new air filter for it. We got it started back up and ran it down the road a little further and it still was not completely back up to power like it should be and the check engine light was still on. So we went further into town where there was another one of those auto parts stores that do the free computer checks and they came back with the #6 misfire code, as well as, I don't remember exactly what he said, but basically it meant it was running really rich. We figured that it just needed some time for the computer to reconfigure now that it was getting air flow again but after a 80 mile trip back home, my husband disconnected the battery for a day and a half to reset the computer and I got in it 3 days later, it started after a few seconds and only went about 10-15 feet, then died on me and I can not get it started again now. It tries to start but won't and the check engine light is still on. Please help!!!

Old 06-04-2014, 07:16 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if the filter was extremely bad I think the sensors downstream could be too. maybe you need to find the actual code other then the misfire. I start to get some throttle body cleaner and clean the throttle body. don't touch the butterfly just clean and whipe it. then clean sensor. maybe check the spark plugs. I think how long been from a tuneup? how many miles/km? hopefully someone pitch in. could be gas pressure or bad gas?

Old 06-06-2014, 03:12 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by yebelgirl
I have a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT with a 3.8L V6. I first started to have problems with it running a rough idle and running at a high rpm when driving like it had a manual choke engaged then I would goose the accelerator to get it to drop back down for a little bit, then it would go back up again. At first the check engine light was not on, but I took it to one of the auto parts stores that will hook up the computer to your car, to see if it was throwing any codes and he said the only thing it said was there was an old code in there that said the #6 cylinder had miss fired. Then we left there and it was still doing the same thing and then the check engine light came on, then it started to loose power on me (no where to stop at this point) and I was having to go slower and slower until we finally stalled out, as luck would have it, in front of a auto parts store. My husband took out the air filter, which, I am embarrassed to say, was filled with dirt from our dirt roads, because he took the wheel well cover off a little while back to replace the windshield washer pump and broke some of the clips so it never got put back on. He did the best he could to get the whole assembly cleaned out and I went in to get a new air filter for it. We got it started back up and ran it down the road a little further and it still was not completely back up to power like it should be and the check engine light was still on. So we went further into town where there was another one of those auto parts stores that do the free computer checks and they came back with the #6 misfire code, as well as, I don't remember exactly what he said, but basically it meant it was running really rich. We figured that it just needed some time for the computer to reconfigure now that it was getting air flow again but after a 80 mile trip back home, my husband disconnected the battery for a day and a half to reset the computer and I got in it 3 days later, it started after a few seconds and only went about 10-15 feet, then died on me and I can not get it started again now. It tries to start but won't and the check engine light is still on. Please help!!!
I am sorry you are still experiencing the no start condition. Did a specific code register for the #6 misfire? Attached is additional information from the service manual for possible causes that may be helpful in diagnosing issue. Keep us posted.

CONDITION-ENGINE WILL NOT START
Possible Cause & Correction
1. Weak battery .- Test battery. Charge or replace as necessary. (Refer to 08 - Electrical/Battery System - Diagnosis and Testing)
2. Corroded or loose battery connections. - Clean and tighten battery connections. Apply a coat of light mineral grease to terminals.
3. Faulty starter. - Test starting system. (Refer to 08 - Electrical/Starting - Diagnosis and Testing)
4. Faulty coil(s) or control unit.
- Test and replace as needed. (Refer to Appropriate Diagnostic Information)
6. Contamination in fuel system. - Clean system and replace fuel filter.
7. Faulty fuel pump.
- Test fuel pump and replace as needed. (Refer to Appropriate Diagnostic Information)
8. Incorrect engine timing.
- Check for a skipped timing belt/chain.

CONDITION-ENGINE STALLS OR IDLES ROUGH
1. Idle speed too low.
- Test minimum air flow. (Refer to Appropriate Diagnostic Information)
2. Incorrect fuel mixture. - (Refer to Appropriate Diagnostic Information)
3. Intake manifold leakage. - Inspect intake manifold, manifold gasket, and vacuum hoses.
4. Faulty ignition coil(s).
- Test and replace as necessary. (Refer to Appropriate Diagnostic Information)

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 2006 Grand Caravan won't start... Please Help