Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 2005 Caravan won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 01:00 PM
Little Joe on the iPhone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yah. That battery is new because when it started with this problem I noted a date o 07 for the year of the battery so I put a new one about three weeks ago. It then was working again for awhile. Maybe the time it took to change batteries did what you said with the clearing of the security? I will unhook the battery and tell you what happends. Thanks

Old 06-28-2014, 01:06 PM
Little Joe on the iPhone

Cv2003. Skipping the key with the relay out the engine is turning over fine. Just not starting. I did put a battery in 3weeks ago or so. Any other sudjestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks joe.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:23 AM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you could confirm that something is pulling down the battery voltage by putting a MM on the battery. You should see 12.5 volts before turning the key, and I would guess it immediately drops way down when the key is turned to run.

Did you take the IPM apart and check all of the wiring in there, as Cougar already suggested? Corroded wires in the IPM is a well-known culprit, and the starting that happened after you tapped on it is a smoking gun.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:19 PM
Little Joe

Hi People,
Still not running ! My internet at home has been out for a few days so I haven't been able to get back to tell the latest with what I have tried. I took the IPM out and checked all the connections. There was no corrosion. I Sprayed it with lube and hooked it all back up. I checked the volts when turning the key to start, it was 12.2 before and 11.9 after turning the key, so not a big difference. I noticed on the dash there is a red light in the bottom right corner and I am not sure what that is for. Is that the security light? How do I get this light off? I couldn't find it in the wiring diagram so I figured it was an add on. That is where we are sitting now. Anymore ideas about the red light or ideas on what do try next would be great !! Thanks Joe

Old 07-02-2014, 07:36 PM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

12.2 is almost certainly too low. Although I've occasionally seen someone say 12.4, the standard number is 12.5. Try to jump start from a running vehicle. If it starts then you can begin figuring out what's going on with the charging system (but don't completely rule out a new battery being bad).

Old 07-03-2014, 12:15 AM
archemedes74
Veteran

probably have an aftermarket alarm, need to find the brain for it and disconnect it (up in the dash probably)

Old 07-03-2014, 02:39 PM
Little Joe

12.2 is due to the fact I've been trying to start this for a week and a half. archemedes 74 is close I think... that is what I think the red light in the bottom corner of the dash is. I will have to check under the dash for a box... see what is there... any other suggestions about the little red light would be greatly appreciated ... btw... a week later and my home internet is working again !!! ;-)

Old 07-03-2014, 04:25 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That little red light on the right side of the instrument cluster is most likely your anti-theft system Sentry Key Immobilizer (SKIM) light and the fact it's on constantly and not blinking means you have a fault in the system AND could be one reason your van is not starting. The light indicates a fault code is stored. A dealership will be able to read security codes and determine where the fault lies but then you have to get it there first. What to do? If you've already disconnected the battery through this process you've already rebooted the system. If not, disconnect the negative battery cable for 10 minutes. If that doesn't work try a basic reset. Shut all the doors then put the key in the drivers door. Turn the key to unlock. Now turn the key to lock. All the doors should lock, the light should flash for a bit and then go out (I think). Course if you have an aftermarket alarm system I don't have a clue. From reading it appears the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM) is the usual culprit.

Last edited by Cougar41; 07-03-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:15 PM
Little Joe

Going out to try that in the van now Cougar41. I'll let you know what happened.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:40 PM
Little Joe

Ok I went out and tried with the key, and that didn't work.. the red light comes on in the run position. It is not on when the key is out of the vehicle. Did the locks and had the ground off the battery when I had the starter out. Keep the ideas coming cause it has to be something we can figure out !!

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 2005 Caravan won't turn over