Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Pully wobble, 06

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 02:44 PM
G SKI
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pully wobble, 06

06 3.3 130k Runs real good. Looking for a marble type sound at idle a/c on. I noticed the crank pully wobbles at idle. It never did that before. Is this a clockwise rotation, and how serious is this? Is it difficult to remove?
As for the sound I hear it thru the alt when a/c cycles on at idle. So i am thinking its the ADP. Any ideas? Thank you

Old 06-29-2014, 07:25 PM
archemedes74
Veteran

yeah if the crank pulley wobbles that's not good at all that's a 2 piece balancer, they aren't too expensive it looks like (just a quick google search) need a special puller/installer though (available as a rental at most parts stores)

Old 06-30-2014, 09:22 PM
G SKI
Rookie

How difficult a job is the crank pully. Is the rotation clockwise on the 3.3? Because i dont have access to air tools, so i would use the bump start method if it is clockwise. Then i guess its use jaw puller to get it off and the installer tool to press it back on.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:53 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Its not that bad. You remove the center bolt and get a 2 jaw puller. But put get a smaller bolt with a washer to push against the crankshaft. This way you won't mess up the thread on the crankshaft. once you removed the pulley, you can install the new pulley with hammer and a block of wood. But do not impact the crankshaft bolt on the crankshaft. It will snapped. Just torque the bolt to 50 inch pounds.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:08 PM
G SKI
Rookie

So I can remove crank bolt as I said above? Use a smaller big headed bolt with a washer, not catching any threads for the puller. Sounds good. But banging the pully on with wood worrys me. You think the new pully should go on that easy? Thank you for the info.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:01 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

No, Because the pulley is really press onto the crankshaft. That's why you need a 2 jaw puller.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:35 AM
2therock
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if you fixed it yet but there are two reasons they can go bad.
The dampening rubber degrades.
And someone using a pry bar against it to move the motor around when changing a water pump. Don't ask me how I know.

When the HB goes it will shake the belt enough to take the AC compressor clutch bearing out.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Pully wobble, 06