Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Running rich and hissing noise coming from engine.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 04:55 PM
s.haulk77
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running rich and hissing noise coming from engine.

I have recently changed out my spark plugs, wires, and coil pack. I also had a clogged fuel injector so I replaced that as well. When the engine is on I can hear a hissing noise which I believe to be a vacuum leak and I can smell gas. There is black soot coming out of the muffler. I am getting code P0172. I am insure how to diagnose a vacuum leak. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-13-2014, 02:50 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Why year is your vehicle? Because you may have a vacuum leak and or a injection wire harness problem.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:12 PM
s.haulk77

It is a 2005 Dodge Caravan SXT 3.3L. I have been talking with a service tech on justanswer.com and he says there is a TSB for this issue and to put the OEM spark plugs and wires in and have the computer updated to fix it. I am going to try that and see where it gets me.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:04 PM
wbrockstar2004

If you decide to check for vacuum leaks you can use carb cleaner or propane from one of those small handheld torches.I prefer the propane because it doesn't make a mess like carb cleaner does.Start the vehicle and let it idle,open the valve slightly on torch so propane comes out,run the torch tip around every gasket,vacuum hose,and vacuum operated component.If using carb cleaner,just spray around every gasket,etc.Do while the engine is cold if using carb cleaner.If the engine idles up,down,or stalls while runnin the propane near every gasket,etc you have found your vacuum leak.The leak causes the propane to be drawn into the engine creating an idle change

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Running rich and hissing noise coming from engine.