Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Upgrade 2011 Front brakes to 2012 up

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 06:49 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks lscman I have to try that.

Originally Posted by Lscman
The aftermarket brackets are remanufactured factory brackets. The dealership will have the latest part# for top dollar. That would be the best source if you don't understand how to check the clearances between the bracket, anti-rattle clips and pad backing plates to ensure they're adequate. The pads must be able to freely slide toward and away from the rotor surface with almost no finger pressure. A 10 year old girl should be able to slide the pads against the rotor using her thumb and forefinger. If they are binding or tight something is not right. Systems that are rusted up or brackets clearances too tight generally need a prying tool to move the pads (bad).

A pin will surely not rust up and stick within weeks unless it is immersed in salt water or acid, so I have no clue?.!? From my experience, clean pins and fresh boots will remain grease-covered and sliding freely for a full brake wear cycle which for me could be ~50K mi or 3 yrs.

Here's how to properly service pin slider assembly:

remove the pins and rubber boots from the caliper. Take the pin and test fit it into storage holes in your electric drill bit kit until you find the 1st hole which it won't slide into. Take that drill bit (which will be slightly smaller than the pin diameter) and use it as a hand reamer to clean the gunk & rust out of the pin slider holes. Just twirl it with your fingers. The rust issue is two-fold, pins rust and pin holes rust. Twist paper towel into the hole like a pipe cleaner to clean it thoroughly. You could use a Q-tip and kerosene if you want to get fancy. Clean the old pins with an electric grinder with stainless wire wheel mounted or buy new pins. At this point the dry pin should freely slide in the hole with no friction whatsoever. Coat lithium white grease on the pin, some in hole and also inside boot and reassemble. Do not overload the boots to the point of oozing out but apply liberally. The pins will move freely when done....aside from being sealed so well it works like a pump. This grease application should last at least 3 years assuming the boots are fresh and properly installed. Many boots have hairline cracks in them after seeing 50K mi or so. Over time, rubber does not tolerate 500 degree F temps or more. The accordion boots when cracked will breath & suck water in when applying brakes, so they must be in good condition to keep water out. NEVER reuse boots on any vehicle. Shops do it, I haven't for 30 yrs.

The aftermarket pins. boot seals and anti-rattle clip kits are cheap as dirt on rockauto. I keep spare sets in my garage for brake jobs on all my cars. Order exact replacement wiper blades thru them while you're at it for about $4 each. You can't beat their bendix premium rotors for $19 each.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Upgrade 2011 Front brakes to 2012 up