Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: fried two coils

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 10:41 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Cougar41
You can start by testing the coil drivers in the PCM as MT stated. Disconnect the coil connector then connect a test light at each of the driver pins. As you crank the engine the light should blink. If it stays on steady you'll need to replace the PCM. If it doesn't come on at all, check continuity of that wire from the coil to the PCM. If that's good replace the PCM. If there is a problem I'd guess you'll see the light staying on meaning that coil would always be energized frying the coil.

If I had your model year and engine I could tell you which pins to check.

The voltage regulator is in the PCM.
In agreement. If it damaged his new coil after running a little while, one of the drivers is staying grounded, ether internal or grounded in the harness somewhere. The engines that have single coils for each cylinder practically explode. A Hemi one made me duck once. (:

Originally Posted by tjnc
Again, there is no such thing as a PCM by ANY manufacturer that still functions when ANY part of it's PCB bus fails. There are only permanent DTC writes that need a re-flash. They are caused by external fault logged x-start-ups.

The suggested test of the two of four wires going to the coil block from the PCM isn't going to yield anything since those are timing feedback for the PCM.

You mean PCI Bus? ....and HUH??

Last edited by TNtech; 09-10-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:16 PM
caravanjoe57
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default almost there

Hi guys,
sorry for taking so long to get back and thank you for your help. First, I made the mistake of not taking your advice to not replace any parts before ohm testing my wires, it cost me another coil and a used pcm. After testing my wires I ended up cutting and splicing all three coil wires and making a new harness. Car started and ran perfect! Then three days later I went to start it and the guage lights didn't come on and the engine would not start. The next day the guage lights came on and the car started perfectly. It's running now but I don't trust it. Any thoughts on a short in my guage cluster, etc?

Thanks

Old 11-05-2014, 08:14 PM
tjnc
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TNtech
In agreement. If it damaged his new coil after running a little while, one of the drivers is staying grounded, ether internal or grounded in the harness somewhere. The engines that have single coils for each cylinder practically explode. A Hemi one made me duck once. (:

You mean PCI Bus? ....and HUH??
There is no PCI compliant bus. There is CAN bus, and a proprietary digital bus for DTC and SKIM that is in the main and body harness with analog wiring.

The proprietary DTC bus is where codes like P0601 and invisible overloads happen. P0601 is a data mismatch logged 50 startups and the only time it has anything to do with a PCM fault is when the socket connection is fractured or shorted by conductive material(since literally any component failure inside the PCM enclosure would make it simply not function(it's a single-board computer..)). This is what all the "experts" refuse to understand.. Using a PCM flasher and swapping the modules teaches you literally nothing about how they actually work..

Look at the wiring diagram to understand the four-wire statement.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: fried two coils