Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[General]: Tire Usage Report

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 09:55 PM
2therock
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tire Usage Report

Those that have seen some of my other posts may know I am very hard on tires. So this is not so much as a mileage rant as it is an FYI.

I have worn out cheaper tires much faster that didn't ride or handle in the wet and dry as well as the Defenders.

Vans have high center of gravity going against it in the turns too.

I put on Michelin Defenders and they rode and performed excellent.
They got almost to the wear bars @ 38,740 miles. And I confess I missed a couple rotations.

I let a dealer talk me into some Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring tires, saying they are owned by Michelin and I would be surprised in the tire for the value.

Not. They would not balance well. One was replaced and then it was so bad he wanted to replace it but offered to give me full credit and put me into the tire of my choice. Back to the Defenders we went.

In driving the Tiger Paws I can tell you it was softer and my average MPG lost 1.5.
Going back to the defenders we felt more sure footed and the Avg MPG returned.

I am semi retired for now so she will be driven more easily and I'll mind my rotations and if she gets worn down before the 90k warranty I'll hold Michelin accountable.

Many years ago I had a set of Michelin Cross Terrains wear @ 32k. All my rotations were documented as well as the alignment check at installation.

My dealer had to be on the phone for 20 minutes answering all their questions but we got another set pro-rated and they let me go to the LTX MS.

So it can be done, just have your ducks in a row.

If you are looking for a high mileage rated tire with fantastic handling and excellent in the wet, the Defender is a Michelin entry priced tire.

Last edited by 2therock; 09-13-2014 at 09:24 PM.

Quick Reply: [General]: Tire Usage Report