Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: 1998 Dodge Caravan with 3.0L leaks engine oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 04:14 PM
dmccrea
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Dodge Caravan with 3.0L leaks engine oil

I have a 1998 Dodge Caravan with the 3.0L engine.

Back in 2010 and approx 70,000 miles ago, I installed brand new short block. The old engine had approx 220,000 miles on it.

1). I used the old heads but had them receive a valve job, including new valve guides.

2). All new gasket set throughout.

3). I replaced PCV valve at time.

4). I did not replace the valve covers.

The engine started to leak engine oil in several places after approx 20,000 miles. Since then I have been adding oil at the rate of a quart every 200 miles.

I am getting ready to have the timing belt replaced. While doing this I am going to address the leaks, to include inspecting valve guides and replacing all seals around cam shafts, etc.

QUESTION: I have read in several places on "all par.com" .that it is recommended to replace the valve covers themselves because of internal parts of the PCV system get gummed up and cause increased internal pressure and hence oil leaks. This site makes it very clear that you can not clean up or soak the valve covers. They must be replaced.

Comments?

Old 11-03-2014, 07:47 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never had an issue with the valve covers themselves causing issues. The gaskets however generally don't last long, and cause a lot of leaks issues. I personally have never had to replace a valve cover. 210k on my old motor, friend has 385k on his 3.0.

Why are you changing a timing belt at 70k?

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: 1998 Dodge Caravan with 3.0L leaks engine oil