Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: 2000 Caravan No Power

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 07:27 PM
bjh1225
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2000 Caravan No Power

Husband replaced the ignition switch, then he accidentally pulled the brake release cable out thinking he was pulling the hood latch. Yes, he feels STUPID. Now there is 0 electrical power . Absolutely no power. He has checked the fuses, tried removing the negative battery cable, turn the switch to Run and let it set for 10 min, reconnected the battery cable and still no power. Without power he cannot plug in and read the code meter. He is an experienced auto mechanic that just did the dumbest thing he has ever done on a vehicle.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

Old 12-05-2014, 08:12 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

LOL at the wife post....my wife says that just about every time I do anything....so, he pulled the brake release cable out....out of what? The vehicle? You mean the parking brake cable? Meaning he just grabbed it and yanked it out and now has the cable in his hands? Can't figure out how replacing the ignition switch would involve the brake cable. Seriously, I think there is something amis in the ignition switch replacement as one has nothing to do with the other....

Old 12-05-2014, 08:56 PM
bjh1225
Default Thanks for the Response.

It was my husband that said it is the stupdiest thing he has ever done to a vehicle. I agree ! He thought he was pulling the hood latch to open the hood but instead he pulled the brake release cable. It came out into his hand and is about 12" in length. I suggested to him that it might be the new ignition key cylinder he installed but at this point he is not willing to consider that. It is called 'having a closed mind' LOL. His pulling on the hood latch (aka brake release latch) was not connected to the ignition key cyclinder replacement. He just wanted to open the hood to check something else.

Please note: I HAVE BEEN CORRECTED that he did not replace the ignition switch. He replaced the ignition key cyclinder. Dumb wife of 62 yrs. LOL

Old 12-06-2014, 12:26 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

So now you have a different key? Right? Arnt those keys chipped?

Old 12-06-2014, 01:11 PM
bjh1225
Angry Keys

This van does not have the embedded chip in the keys. The key would not come out of the ignition switch so we ordered a new one. This is the 2nd time that has happened. Husband says there is no power going from the Power Train Control Module. He is now researching what he should replace in the power system. He is a very good auto mechanic and electrical system diagnostician. He just did the dumb thing of pulling too hard on the brake release cable until it broke and came out. That is when the van refused to start again.

Thanks for your responses, bjh

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: 2000 Caravan No Power